Harlem Shuffle

by Colson Whitehead | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Mistlerose of Frankston, Victoria Australia on 11/27/2021
Journal Entry 1 by Mistlerose from Frankston, Victoria Australia on Saturday, November 27, 2021
“Ray Carney was only slightly bent when it came to being crooked…” To his customers and neighbors on 125th street, Carney is an upstanding salesman of reasonably priced furniture, making a decent life for himself and his family. He and his wife Elizabeth are expecting their second child, and if her parents on Striver’s Row don’t approve of him or their cramped apartment across from the subway tracks, it’s still home.

Few people know he descends from a line of uptown hoods and crooks, and that his façade of normalcy has more than a few cracks in it. Cracks that are getting bigger all the time.

Journal Entry 2 by Mistlerose at La Camera in Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Saturday, November 27, 2021

Released 1 mo ago (11/28/2021 UTC) at La Camera in Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia

on bc table

Journal Entry 3 by wingmeganhwing at Preston, Victoria Australia on Saturday, January 1, 2022
I finished this book this morning after stop start reading for the last three weeks, mainly due to the silly season at the Bowls Club.
I quite enjoyed it, even though characters were not fully fleshed out and there seemed to be gaps in the story. A fair bit of luck for the very shady double life led by Ray Carney, furniture retailer and jewellery fence.
I was interested to read about life in Harlem in the 60’s, I remember a visit there in the early 70’s when all the cars were huge and shiny and all the buildings were run-down with broken windows. It felt quite dangerous for white people then, and we never got out of our car to see anything beyond the streetscape.
This part of the review pretty well sums up the book -
“Harlem Shuffle’s ingenious story plays out in a beautifully recreated New York City of the early 1960’s. It’s a family saga masquerading as a crime novel, a hilarious morality play, a social novel about race and power and ultimately a love letter to Harlem”.
Off to a new reader from the Aussie Wishlist tag game now.