An Angel in Australia

by Thomas Keneally | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by sofie777 of Merimbula, New South Wales Australia on 5/26/2011
Journal Entry 1 by sofie777 from Merimbula, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, May 26, 2011
Through the eyes of a naive young priest we see into the hearts of a people who fear the end of life as they know it. In the confessional, Father Darragh heasr how his community is changing---how the very real fear of invasion by the Japanese is leading people to challenge what the church teaches is right or wrong. Under the threat of death, people do things they would never dream of in peacetime, Especially vulnerable are those women whose husbands have been captured in Singapore or on the Western desert, Facing the future alone and unprotected, they are at risk of succumbing to the charms of more subtle invaders, American servicemen.

When one of Father Darragh's 'fallen' parishioners, the young work-class wife of an Australian POW, is found brutally murdered, she takes on the character of a victim of war in the mind of the impressionable young priest. His obsession with her lost soul runs deeper than he will admit and leads Darragh on a dangerous journey of personal discovery--one that puts his own life at risk....(backcover)

A snapshot of Australian life in Sydney during the war years - I haven't read a book by Tom Keneally before but will certainly look for more books by this author.

Journal Entry 2 by sofie777 at Farrer, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Friday, October 28, 2011

Released 12 yrs ago (10/28/2011 UTC) at Farrer, Australian Capital Territory Australia

Gave to a fellow reader, hope she enjoys!!

Journal Entry 3 by Skyring at Mitchell, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Thursday, May 23, 2024
Nearly thirteen years later I find this book at the book donations warehouse. I'll set it free again soon.

Journal Entry 4 by winggoldenwattlewing at Civic, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, May 25, 2024
Picked up during the Bookcrossing meet, from the Central Social Club, Civic, ACT. Thank you.

Released 3 days ago (6/9/2024 UTC) at Any Town in -- wild released somewhere in NSW, New South Wales Australia

To be released on a road trip somewhere in NSW. I will update after the release.

Enjoy😀👍, and it's really appreciated if you can please log this book to let previous readers know it has found a new reader, and where it travels to next. Then we can all follow its journey. Thank you 🙂.

To the finder, enjoy, and I hope you will write a journal entry so that previous readers will know that this book has been found (even anonymously). It is always a joy to find where it has gone. Once you've read this book, pass it on to a friend, or set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find as you did.
You can remain anonymous but if you are interested in joining please consider using - Goldenwattle as your referrer.
When you pass this book along, please make a release note to let others know where you left it. Thank you.

More information on BookCrossing