The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of The Oxford English Dictionary

by Simon Winchester | History |
ISBN: 006099486x Global Overview for this book
Registered by Cpetersky of Seattle, Washington USA on 9/7/2003
Journal Entry 1 by Cpetersky from Seattle, Washington USA on Sunday, September 7, 2003
Given to me by my father for immediate release.

Journal Entry 2 by Cpetersky from Seattle, Washington USA on Tuesday, September 9, 2003
A totally totally cool book. For all those who are interested in words, etymology, and insanity.

Journal Entry 3 by Cpetersky at Postal Release in -- Mailed, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Monday, September 15, 2003
for book relay...

Journal Entry 4 by MissQ from Fredericton, New Brunswick Canada on Monday, January 12, 2004
Got this as part of a relay from Cpetersky. Thanks so much! I've heard many good things about this book.

Journal Entry 5 by MissQ from Fredericton, New Brunswick Canada on Tuesday, April 6, 2004
This is another example of what I'm coming to like about non-fiction. I never knew that some of it read like fiction. I found this book to be like The Devil in the White City in that way - so engaging and yet so educational :-)

I learned so much about the English language (who knew the word lunatic comes from the thought that moods were dependent on the cycles of the moon) and the making of that great, old dictionary. It was really interesting how Winchester dug through all the myth to get at the truth about the real professor and the madman. He really did his research. The way he presented things seemed a little disjointed at times and the story went back and forth in time, which could be a bit confusing. But I think it was necessary to tell certain parts of the story completely instead of telling it all chronologically. There were a couple of gruesome parts but Winchester didn't go into too much gory detail.

In all, I was left with a greater appreciation of English and of the men who struggled so hard to put together this great book (which we all take for granted). Now, if only I had a copy of The Oxford English Dictionary so I could see Murray's and Minor's names and their contributions...But all I have is Webster's!

Journal Entry 6 by vhackett from Fredericton, New Brunswick Canada on Wednesday, April 7, 2004
MissQ passed this along to me today - sounds like an interesting read! I think woodsroy wants to read it after me and then I guess it's up for grabs or back to MissQ...