Far from the Madding Crowd (Oxford World's Classics)

by Thomas Hardy | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 019283391X Global Overview for this book
Registered by 4evagreen of Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on 3/8/2011
Journal Entry 1 by 4evagreen from Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 8, 2011
'Far from the madding crowd' was the first of Hardy's novels to give the name of Wessex and to gain him widespread popularity.

Journal Entry 2 by 4evagreen at Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 14, 2012
The prose is beautifully written but the plot was plodding rather than racy and while I appreciate that the book was written before the age of TV and widespread travel, so it was incumbant on the author to describe the surroundings where the setting for the story but Hardy spends far too much time doing so for my taste. Every time that he described rural life around Weatherbury he placed a massive roadblock in the flow of the tale and I felt like shouting "will you shut up and just tell the tale".

What about the characters? The three male suitors are all beautifuuly rounded, Gabriel (the farmer fallen on hardtimes) is selfless in his pursuit both in word and deed, Boldwood (the repressed farmer) is selfish and smothering believing that it is right to marry Bathsheba, Troy (the philanderer) is more interested in the sport of the chase rather than the actual capture. Personally I cannot see how Bathsheba can be viewed as an early feminist, for me she is far too vain, self-absorbed and quite frankly little more than 'a silly little girl' who knows nothing of love and I found that I had little regard for her at all . The minor characters were amusing but for me there was much more comic rustic dialogue than was really neccessary.

The ending was predictable but whether or not it is a happy one is debatable. Gabriel obviously still loves Bathsheba but does she merely come to depend on rather than actually love him. When the staff are congratulating them on their marriage the phrase "Bathsheba smiled, for she never laughed readily now" made it seem little more than the business arrangement that Boldwood had suggested rather than anything else. But then maybe I'm just an gnarled old cynic

Journal Entry 3 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 20, 2015

Released 9 yrs ago (3/20/2015 UTC) at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom

Going out as part of a Wishlist tag thread. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingSparkishwing at Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 1, 2015
I have just returned from a holiday, so I am very sorry that there has been a delay in journaling this book. It reached Leicestershire safe and sound, thank you so much for sending it, the cute card and the lovely surprise book :-)

Journal Entry 5 by wingSparkishwing at Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, December 30, 2023
I finally managed to read this. Sorry it has taken so long. I enjoyed this far more than I thought I would. It was too long, but warmed my generally cynical heart. It was my first Thomas Hardy - I might even read some more 😊 Thanks again for sending.

Journal Entry 6 by wingSparkishwing at St Aidan’s Church in Bamburgh, Northumberland United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Released 3 mos ago (1/2/2024 UTC) at St Aidan’s Church in Bamburgh, Northumberland United Kingdom

Left on bookshelves near the entrance.

If you find this book I hope you enjoy reading it. Please consider posting here to let me know it has found a new home. You can do this anonymously should you wish to.