The Character of Rain: A Novel

by Amelie Nothomb | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Mountainwren of Bethesda, Maryland USA on 7/19/2003
Journal Entry 1 by Mountainwren from Bethesda, Maryland USA on Saturday, July 19, 2003
"The Japanese believe that until the age of three children are gods, each one an okasama, or 'lord child.' On their third birthday they fall from grace and join the rest of the human race. In Amelie Nothomb's new novel The Character of Rain, we learn that divinity is a difficult thing from which to recover."

A kind friend sent me this book. Since I won't have time to read it immediately, I will be sending it on a journey first. Send me a private message if you would like to receive this book.

Ring on the road - 13,862 miles traveled as of 1/20!
Participants:
Wildflower67 (read and released)
bookmaniac70 (read and released)
savannahblue (read and released)
16stepper (read and released)
lightwavz (read and released)

kalipriestess, Florida (currently has possession)
add: spark, California
add:djf1968, California
back to me, kristamd, Maryland

Journal Entry 2 by Mountainwren from Bethesda, Maryland USA on Thursday, July 31, 2003
Mailing the book to the first participant, Wildflower67, this weekend -- enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by Wildflower67 from Bellingham, Washington USA on Monday, August 4, 2003
I got this book in the mail today. Thanks! I can't wait to start reading it and pass it on. :)

Journal Entry 4 by Wildflower67 from Bellingham, Washington USA on Tuesday, August 5, 2003
I read most of this book last night and finished it up this morning. :)

At first I was thinking that Amélie must be in the rank of genius to remember, as well as to express herself so eloquently, at such a tender age. But then I thought that it is fiction, most likely mixed with truth, to allow us to see the thought process of a god-child. This was an extremely captivating story, and it would not surprise me to think that young children are capable of such sophisticated thoughts.

Journal Entry 5 by Wildflower67 at on Wednesday, August 6, 2003
Released on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 at Postal Release in Cape May County, New Jersey USA.

Mailed to BookCrosser bookmaniac70 today.

Journal Entry 6 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Wednesday, August 13, 2003
Just received it from Wildflower67 and will start reading soon. This is the first book I receive through BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 7 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Thursday, August 14, 2003
I am almost finished with it. Sharp, cute, even brutal in some places. Written with the merciless of a child. An interesting view about Japan. Some things seemed to me a little bit exaggerated ( not in the sense of facts but as inclination to impress at every cost).
In general, I like it and am glad I was able to read it.

Journal Entry 8 by bookmaniac70 at post office in София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Tuesday, August 19, 2003
Released on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 at post office in Sofia, Sofia Bulgaria.

Sent to savannablue, Oregon USA, next in the list for the bookring.

Journal Entry 9 by savannahblue from Portland, Oregon USA on Saturday, September 6, 2003
just rec'd by international post from bookmaniac70, in bulgaria. can't wait to dive into the book, and it was also really fun to receive a package from bulgaria, a first for me! (the package is so unassuming, and fairly free of decoration - funny to think of all the hands it passed through to get here. . .) will read and send it on its way soon.

Journal Entry 10 by savannahblue from Portland, Oregon USA on Monday, September 8, 2003
this was a very fast read - small book (with an absolutely beautiful, engaging cover) and flowing writing. a little hard for me to get into at first, almost existential - but then i was caught, wanting to know what would happen next with this child, wondering how much of it was true, and if even only part of it was, what a strange, wild and interesting life this woman has had. . .interested to read another of her books.

thanks for sharing, kristamd.

off to 16stepper.

Journal Entry 11 by savannahblue at -- By Hand Or Post, Ray/Ring, RABCK in Portland, Oregon USA on Monday, September 8, 2003
Release planned for Tuesday, September 09, 2003 at postal release to fellow bookcrosser in Portland, Oregon USA.

sending by post to the next participant in the bookring, 16stepper in AZ. enjoy!

Journal Entry 12 by 16stepper from Gilbert, Arizona USA on Friday, September 12, 2003
This arrived today along with SEVEN other bookrays. Oh my! And I already have 15 here. So I am engaging warp drive and reading faster!

Journal Entry 13 by 16stepper from Gilbert, Arizona USA on Wednesday, October 15, 2003
I've had this for a few days past a month. I am seriously backed up with rays and reading as fast as I can. I hope to read this one in the next 2 week.

Journal Entry 14 by 16stepper from Gilbert, Arizona USA on Saturday, November 8, 2003
Intriguing premise for a book and extremely well executed. I love the observations of adults and the world in general from the egocentricity of a child's view. Thanks for sharing this book. Will mail this off to lightwavz on Monday.

Journal Entry 15 by lightwavz from Detroit, Michigan USA on Friday, November 21, 2003
Sometimes I just love a book for the weirdest reasons!! This cover is one of my favorite colors and I love the design with the goldfish! Looks like a very quick and interesting read... I will journal when I am done. Then, I might take the book with me to the paint store so I can match up some wall paint to it :) It would be a good reading room color!!

Journal Entry 16 by lightwavz from Detroit, Michigan USA on Saturday, December 6, 2003
Read this one this afternoon... I was feeling guilty about it, languishing on my bedside table and I knew I could read it in one sitting. There are so many things that I loved about this book (balanced by so many things that annoyed me... such an overly precocious little God she was! She reminded me of Baby Stuie on "The Family Guy" at times!!). My favorite parts were her descriptions of Japan and the Little Green Pond (especially when Nishio-san takes her swimming in the rain) and the cherry blossoms. The attention to nature reminded me of my own childhood (AFTER I was three of course!). The story of the three carp and of "carpe diem" was very funny. I wonder if I ever pretended to like something that much just to please my parents? I would like to let this one simmer in my brain a little while and read again someday. I'll get it in the mail to kalipriestess ASAP. Thanks again, kristamd!!

Journal Entry 17 by kalipriestess from Tallahassee, Florida USA on Tuesday, January 20, 2004
I'm not sure when I received this, but it looks fascinating. Thank you for starting this ring!