The Song of Silver Frond

by Catherine Lim | Women's Fiction |
Registered by da-wildchildz of Nuneaton, Warwickshire United Kingdom on 3/31/2010
Journal Entry 1 by da-wildchildz from Nuneaton, Warwickshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Time to get reading!

Journal Entry 2 by da-wildchildz at Thurmaston, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 15, 2010
The Song of Silver Frond reminded me of two books, ‘Lolita’ by Vladimir Nabokov and ‘Empress Orchid’ by Anchee Min. Like Lolita, it shared the theme of obsession with a minor and similar to Empress Orchid, it features rivalry between the wives of one man. The setting for this book was Singapore but it felt as though the story could have been set anywhere as the author did not really describe much of the culture. The aspect of the novel that I most enjoyed was the conversations with the Gods and ancestors, which I found to be mystical and intriguing.

Journal Entry 3 by da-wildchildz at Bremen, Bremen Germany on Thursday, June 17, 2010

Released 14 yrs ago (6/17/2010 UTC) at Bremen, Bremen Germany

Sent to ApoloniaX, enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingApoloniaXwing at Bremen, Bremen Germany on Wednesday, June 23, 2010
Just received this in the mail.
Thank you so much, da-wildchildz!
Looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 5 by wingApoloniaXwing at Bremen, Bremen Germany on Friday, July 22, 2011
The intriguing story of a poor teenage girl who marries a rich old patriarch about 50 years older than her as his fourth wife – which scandalises the village and of course his own household. I wish I had known from the beginning that the author writes about real people – her own grandparents. This gives a totally different perspective to the novel. I have no idea how much is fact and how much is fiction, she must have filled in a lot of gaps – and sometimes I thought she got carried away too much with her own fascination of the story… things could have been a bit shorter. I had hoped there would be more about Singapore in it – but there is hardly any description of the place. Still it’s an interesting story about polygamy, the role of women, social taboos – and men’s crazy cult about virginity.

Journal Entry 6 by wingApoloniaXwing at A fellow BookCrosser, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Friday, July 22, 2011

Released 12 yrs ago (7/22/2011 UTC) at A fellow BookCrosser, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Travelling to India!

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by prachitulshan at New Delhi, Delhi India on Monday, August 1, 2011
Another package from ApoloniaX, and that too arriving on the same day! This book has passed through the hands of two of my birthday buddies, and the interesting JEs make me want to start it soon. I loved the Bremen town musician cards that came alongwith it, and the thimble will be a prized possession. :) Thank you!

Journal Entry 8 by prachitulshan at Kolkata, West Bengal India on Saturday, June 28, 2014
I read this book recently, and while some elements were interesting, parts of the plot and characters were predictable and stereotypical which left me wanting. With some more depth and details, this could have been a really good story. It was interesting enough to keep on reading though and I'm glad I finally got this off Mt. TBR. Hope to pass it on soon!

Journal Entry 9 by prachitulshan at RABCK, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Monday, October 6, 2014

Released 9 yrs ago (10/7/2014 UTC) at RABCK, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Sending to saskiasosmile, alongwith some Indian goodies, for winning my Fair Trade Fair RABCK. I found that you like Asian Literature, so hoping you enjoy this one!

Journal Entry 10 by saskiasosmile at Whitby, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 4, 2014
A happy day for me, as this book arrived as part of a double parcel: fair trade rabck prize and HGG surprise... Thanks so much prachitulshan!

Journal Entry 11 by saskiasosmile at Cafe Nero in Guisborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Released 8 mos ago (10/4/2023 UTC) at Cafe Nero in Guisborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Dear finder: By the time you have found this message you have hopefully looked at the book and decided to read it.
Please journal here, to tell me that you have found this book.So I can follow its journey...
I hope you will read and enjoy this book. You can journal again, to let others know what you think of this book.
You can do with it as you like. But if you decide to let it go to another reader again, may I ask you to journal to say this.

Do have a look round this site, maybe you like books as much as I do, and decide to join Bookcrossing! If you do, please note that you were referred by saskiasosmile.
All the best and have fun!