(BOOKRING)Holding Out: A Novel

by Anne O. Faulk | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by SenoraG of Mount Pocono, Pennsylvania USA on 7/6/2003
Journal Entry 1 by SenoraG from Mount Pocono, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, July 6, 2003
from inside flap.....

What would happen if a bold, successful female executive called upon the nation's women to withhold sex until a highly placed spousal abuser was brought to justice? It would rock the country--and her life--that's what!

Ex-library book from cheapie bookstore. May be too good not to bookring if I can't get to it soon!

Journal Entry 2 by SenoraG from Mount Pocono, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, July 7, 2003
Now a bookring. Enjoy it instead of letting it sit in my over-sized TBR pile!!!

Rules of the Ring.....

1. The first six people that PM will be included in the ring.
2. I will post the list here in the journal page so please refer to it when it's time to send the book along.
3. Each person has a max of three weeks to read the book before passing it on to the next.
4. PM the next person on the list for their address so it can be passed along in a timely manner.
5. Please journal when you receive the book and after you've read it with any thoughts and comments. It's
great to see what different people say about a book.
6. Have fun and enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by SenoraG from Mount Pocono, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, July 7, 2003

Journal Entry 4 by SenoraG at on Saturday, July 12, 2003
Released on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 at senorag's bookrings in postal release, postal release USA.

Starting on it's journey tomorrow to mysteryfan03 in MO. Hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 5 by mysteryfan03 from Moberly, Missouri USA on Tuesday, July 15, 2003
I recieved the book yesterday!! I cant wait to start reading it!! I will journal when it goes on its way......

Journal Entry 6 by mysteryfan03 from Moberly, Missouri USA on Tuesday, August 5, 2003
What a fun book seeing what would happen with a centuries old story and putting it in modern day. It wasnt always smooth reading, but once you get into it, you cant put it down. Thanks for letting me read this.
BTW--I mailed this out to 16stepper on Fri Aug 1 (just realized that I forgot to journal!) Enjoy!!!!!!

Journal Entry 7 by 16stepper from Gilbert, Arizona USA on Wednesday, August 6, 2003
Received in today's mail. Looking forward to reading this! Goes in my bookray pile for the time being.

Journal Entry 8 by 16stepper from Gilbert, Arizona USA on Saturday, September 6, 2003
I've had this for a month now, but never fear, I am reading it. And loving it! Should be in the mail early next week to ellymae58.

Journal Entry 9 by 16stepper from Gilbert, Arizona USA on Sunday, September 7, 2003
Wow! I give this a 9 for being a bold, sassy page turner with characters that leap off the pages. Oh, if only women could be this unified in real life.

For me, the best part is when the wife beater reveals his anger on camera as he is being led away to prison. Too many women live lives of terror because they are the only people who ever see their husband's anger. Everyone else sees a great guy, charming and sensitive, a man who would never hurt anyone. The isolation this creates for the woman is incredible. She is living in hell and can't tell anyone because they wouldn't believe her if they did. I know this because I have lived there. I'm the only one who has ever seen my husband's anger and it is ugly. It has been a fantasy of mine that some day he would lose it in front of all those people at church who wouldn't help me because they didn't feel they could take sides (in other words, they didn't believe me, but did believe him). My husband was convicted and did spend time in jail, and still those people don't believe me. What I wouldn't give for a videotape like the one at the end of this novel. I suspect that Ann O. Faulk has either lived in hell herself, or she knows someone who does/did.

Having said all those nice things, and despite the 9 star rating, this isn't a great book. It's a great read, one that makes you want to jump up and down cheering loudly. But it's not great literature. The ending is too pat, the heroine is too articulate (although that's well-balanced by the description of her secret fears and her body's reaction to them), and I don't believe for a minute that the women of this country would rally around a cause like they do here. And that makes me incredibly sad; I'm not sure whether I'm sad at my cynicism or sad at the state of feminism today.

Thank you for sharing this, senorag. Once I picked it up, I couldn't put it down! On to ellymae58 on Monday.

Journal Entry 10 by EllyMae58 from El Cajon, California USA on Wednesday, September 10, 2003
Uh-oh...it's the attack of the bookrays!! Okay, there are two ahead of this one..I'll read it as soon as I can and move it along. :)

Journal Entry 11 by PalmersPal from Ramona, California USA on Wednesday, September 24, 2003
I got this in the mail today and am adding it to my TBR pile. I have two other bookring books ahead of it, but I should get to it soon. Thanks senorag for sharing this, it looks like a fun read.

Journal Entry 12 by PalmersPal from Ramona, California USA on Wednesday, October 22, 2003
I really enjoyed reading this book. It started off a little slowly, but eventually, I got caught up in it. I liked Lauren. I think that I would enjoy knowing her. Hank sounds like a gas. Jake is an absolute dream! Moore is the bodyguard that I would like to have if I needed one. I always thought that the story of Lysistrata was a good one. I think that the plan to withhold sex would definitely solve a lot of the world's problems. If all the women of the world refused to have sex until the middle east was in peace again and world wars were ended, peace would happen in less than a month.

Journal Entry 13 by PalmersPal from Ramona, California USA on Monday, November 10, 2003
I mailed this from my work last Tuesday before I left on my trip. Sorry that I didn't journal it sooner.

Journal Entry 14 by kbgoffe from Beaverton, Oregon USA on Friday, December 19, 2003
First I must apologize for not getting this journaled right away. Between being sick and breaking my right wrist too many things did not get done. I am so sorry.

Once I started this book I could not put it down. The protest idea caught me off guard and I enjoyed reading the history of Lysistrata. I agree with many of the comments that 16stepper made. (Thanks for making them as it is hard to type with my cast LOL). This was definitely a fun book to read. I am so glad that the author touched upon the serious ramifications. It helped make the book more “realistic.”

Journal Entry 15 by kbgoffe from Beaverton, Oregon USA on Monday, December 29, 2003
This is mailing out on 12/29.

Journal Entry 16 by Sherria from Bethel, Connecticut USA on Wednesday, January 14, 2004
I received this book on Saturday and read it in 2 sittings. I loved it! What a wonderful book.

The premise was very interesting, and I loved the strong female characters that were human enough to have flaws and insecurities. The happy ending was a little cliche'd and things wrapped up a little neatly, but it didn't lessen my enjoyment of this book at all.

I'll be sending this on to the next participant as soon as I get an address. Thanks so much for sharing this book senorag. I'd never have read it otherwise.

Journal Entry 17 by kalipriestess from Tallahassee, Florida USA on Saturday, February 14, 2004
Just received. I've been really looking forward to reading this. Unfortunately, I've been flooded with rings/rays in the last few days, but I'll do my best!! Please be patient! :)