Happy International BookCrossing Day!
It's a special day for BookCrossing and we hope you'll make it a good one. Ballycumber just posted a short message in the Announcements forum, you can read it here.

Me Cheeta: My Life in Hollywood

by Cheeta | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 006164742x Global Overview for this book
Registered by quinnsmom of Hobe Sound, Florida USA on 8/23/2009
Journal Entry 1 by quinnsmom from Hobe Sound, Florida USA on Sunday, August 23, 2009
Normally, the thought of reading a book told from the point of view of an animal sends me running, and to be very truthful, I probably would have skipped on this one as well had it not been placed on the Booker Prize Longlist this year. What a mistake that would have been -- actually, more of a shame.

Ostensibly written by Cheeta the chimpanzee, bosom companion to Tarzan vis-a-vis the series of movies first produced by MGM then by RKO, the book reads like a Hollywood memoir of debauchery and hedonism among the big stars of the 30s 40s and 50s. But there's so much more between the covers than a pseudo-tell all.

Me Cheeta is an ode to Johnny Weissmuller, the best friend Cheeta ever had. It's a look at the downside of the world of stardom and celebrity -- even for animals -- once the box office numbers start falling. It delves into the world of animal cruelty in the name of show business and laboratory research. It's an examination of civilization using the action in the series of Tarzan movies as a starting point. At times it's laugh-out-loud funny, and yet there's a sense of poignancy throughout the book that makes the reader stop and think about the cruelties that humans can inflict upon each other (not to mention animals).

I can't really do this book justice in a short review, but it is one of those stories where after you read it, you'll be thinking about it for a while. Very well written, Me Cheeta is refreshing and fun, and I can definitely very highly recommend it.