Murder on the Links

by Agatha Christie | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by quinnsmom of Hobe Sound, Florida USA on 7/19/2009
Journal Entry 1 by quinnsmom from Hobe Sound, Florida USA on Sunday, July 19, 2009
It is SO hard for me to read these books and not picture David Suchet as Poirot. While the man is perfect in the role, I hear his voice in my head while I'm reading. Actually, now that I think about it, I can hear the voice of Captain Hastings (played by Hugh Fraser). Going all sidetracky here, I've seen Hugh Fraser in some other British dramas on PBS, and have had to remember he's not playing Hastings in whatever the show is. But...okay, moving right along...

In this episode, we find the friendly little Belgian detective spending his time rescuing cats and he's fed up. Along comes a letter from one M. Renaud in France, asking for Poirot's help because his life is in danger. Off rush Poirot and his friend and erstwhile sidekick, Captain Hastings. But it's too late...when they arrive at Renaud's villa, Renaud is already dead. While Poirot has no official standing there, he is allowed to help the police, and they'll need it: there are a number of suspects from which to choose. With his usual energy, Poirot has to work fast to prevent the wrong person from going to the guillotine.

This is installment #2 in the Poirot series, and it's easy to see that neither Poirot nor Hastings are in their fully developed selves yet. It's not one of her best but on the other hand, it's still early in the series. Originally written in 1923, the language is a bit stilted at times, and Poirot is a bit more long-winded than he will turn out to be later. A lot of this novel is based on coincidence, but you can sort of overlook it because it's interesting to see how Poirot uses zee little grey cells. However, a couple of plot twists will keep you guessing right up until the end so it's a good enough mystery and will keep readers turning pages.

Recommended definitely for Christie (and Poirot) fans; readers of golden-age mysteries will enjoy this and readers of British mysteries in general will probably have fun with it. Overall...an average story from a great writer.

fyi: the movie starring David Suchet is quite good...not totally true to the book but very close.