Captains Courageous

by Rudyard Kipling | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by rem_ABK-578523 on 5/21/2003
Journal Entry 1 by rem_ABK-578523 on Wednesday, May 21, 2003
Read in May, 2003.

I've read some Kipling before and really liked it; I liked the Just-So-Stories, especially Elephant's Child, and the novel Kim. I knew a bit about the life of Kipling from those books (and Jungle Book), but until I read Captains Courageous I did not know Rudyard Kipling ever lived in Brattleboro, VT or wrote anything with an American theme.

Captains Courageous is the story of a rich and spoiled boy (Harvey), son of an 1870's multi-millionaire railroad tycoon, who was washed overboard from his luxury liner and rescued by a fishing boat. The crew of the boat won't take him back to land for 6 months, (least they miss the seasons catch and therefore their livliehood), and in this coming-of-age tale, he experiences many adventures formerly denied a boy of wealth and priveledge.

I almost gave up on this book, actually. The first chapter set everything up very nicely, but then we went into about 60 pages of boating particulars, to quote the afterward, "...the names of the sails, the use of the boat-compass and oars and anchors, and the proper methods of carving and salt-curing fish....we are presented with a plethora of ship's jargon as Harvey learns of gurry-butts and gunwales, fore-booms, dressing-pens, lanyards, tack-earings, reef-pennants, and everything from foc'sles to fishlivers." At about page 75, we seemed to get back into the story, which allowed me to finish the book. Actually, I think this book would appeal more to men than to women, because it focuses more on the sea-faring adventure than on the development of the people.

Kipling didn't utilize his tremendous gift for flowery language in this book, yet what other author can use the word hijjus in more than one novel and get away with it? He's also fond, I've noticed, of the words curiosity, precedent and promiscous.

The best part of the book was for me was when Harvey's father realized that "today's younger generation" (written a few generations ago) is so expensive to raise, because they need so many "things" that they tire of so quickly. The more things change, the more they stay the same, eh?

Journal Entry 2 by rem_ABK-578523 at geocache in Hollis, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, October 11, 2003
Released on Wednesday, October 08, 2003 at geocache in Hollis, New Hampshire USA.

in the bugs and blueberries geocache

Journal Entry 3 by Jeep-Chick from New Boston, New Hampshire USA on Monday, November 17, 2003
I found this in a geocache that I went hunting for on my lunch hour today (well, extended lunch hour). Thanks for the release and the descriptive journal entry. I may skim through the boating particulars, but I've never read plan on releasing. Possibly into another geocache.

Released on Sunday, April 25, 2004 at In a Geocache called Monson Find in Milford, New Hampshire USA.

I actually enjoyed this story more than I thought I would! I did have trouble following some of it in the beginning, but I was glad I stuck with it. I left this one in a geocache (see geocaching.com) called "Monson Find" in Monson Village, located on the Milford/Hollis NH line.