Mister Pip

by Lloyd Jones | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 9780719569944 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Jaffa-monster of Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on 9/1/2008
Journal Entry 1 by Jaffa-monster from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Monday, September 1, 2008
From the blurb:

Review by Isabel Allende:

'One of the best books of the year. Poetic, heartbreaking, surprising. Matilda is a young girl in Bougainville, a tropical island where the horror of civil war lurks. Mr Watts, the only white person, is the self-appointed teacher of the tiny school where the only textbook is Dickens' Great Expectations. An extraordinary book.'

Didn't think much of it. Passing on to my girlfriend.

Journal Entry 2 by Fluffy-Owl from Chichester, West Sussex United Kingdom on Monday, September 1, 2008
Received today.

Journal Entry 3 by Fluffy-Owl from Chichester, West Sussex United Kingdom on Friday, April 17, 2009
I didn't like it. Perhaps this is partly because I know very little about that area of the world (New Zealand, Australia and the surround island countries, sorry if that's not the right term for them!) and so was confused by the chronology and the circumstances generally. But aside from that, the plot was bizarre and the ending also quite odd, and the last few chapters I found hard to link together.

Will pass it on soon.

Journal Entry 4 by Fluffy-Owl at Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 18, 2009

Released 15 yrs ago (4/20/2009 UTC) at Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom

Posting off to Iceland this week, hope the book travels well, arrives safely, and that you enjoy it more than I did!

Journal Entry 5 by wingBjorgwing from Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland on Wednesday, April 22, 2009
The book arrived today, thanks so much fluffy-owl:)

Journal Entry 6 by wingBjorgwing from Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland on Friday, August 28, 2009
I thought this book was a bit strange but I did enjoy it though:) Will soon send it off to another reader as a trade:)

Journal Entry 7 by wingBjorgwing at Deventer, Overijssel Netherlands on Friday, August 28, 2009

Released 14 yrs ago (8/31/2009 UTC) at Deventer, Overijssel Netherlands

Mister Pip will next travel to Qimp as a trade:) Enjoy:)

Journal Entry 8 by Qimp from Deventer, Overijssel Netherlands on Friday, September 18, 2009
Thank you Bjorg, for Mr Pip and for the sweet note! I'm looking forward to reading it, also because of the different reviews this copy received :D.

And apologies for not journaling the book until now, it's been sitting on my desk looking at me accusingly for the past week or so...

Thanks!

Journal Entry 9 by Qimp from Deventer, Overijssel Netherlands on Saturday, December 12, 2009
Oops, finished reading Mister Pip some time ago, but forgot to journal it. I was impressed by the story, even though some bits were very harsh. Thanks again Bjorg! Will try and find another reader for this copy.