The Grand Idea

by Joel Achenbach | History |
Registered by wingwaterfallingwing of Rockledge, Florida USA on 6/20/2008
Journal Entry 1 by wingwaterfallingwing from Rockledge, Florida USA on Friday, June 20, 2008
trade-size paperback.

from the back cover:
The Grand Idea follows George Washington in the critical period immediately after the War of Independence. The general had great hopes for his young nation, but also grave fears. He worried that the United States was so fragmented politically and culturally that it would fall apart, and that the "West," beyond the Appalachian mountains, would become a breakaway republic. So he came up with an ambitious scheme: He would transform the Potomac River into the nation's premier commercial artery, binding East and West, bolstering domestic trade, and staving off disunion. This was no armchair notion. Washington saddled up and rode west on a 680-mile trek to the raucous frontier of America.

Journal Entry 2 by wingwaterfallingwing at Raleigh, North Carolina USA on Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Released 13 yrs ago (2/1/2011 UTC) at Raleigh, North Carolina USA

Sent for BCinDC Convention - Local Interest Book Buffet

Sent to us by a generous BookCrosser for the convention book buffet. Thanks!

This book will be released at the 2011 BookCrossing Convention.

This book will be released at the 2011 BookCrossing Convention.

Journal Entry 5 by mdm139 at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, April 17, 2011
my husband won this book that was used as a center piece at the banquet at the convention

Journal Entry 6 by wingMelydiawing at -- Geocaches, Virginia USA on Saturday, May 26, 2012
Beloved BCinDC members mdm139 and Rock-Solid were cleaning off their shelves in preparation for a cross-country move. I miss them already; I hope to continue this book's journey soon.

Journal Entry 7 by wingMelydiawing at Birdie's Cafe - 233 E. Main St. in Westminster, Maryland USA on Thursday, September 13, 2012

Released 11 yrs ago (9/13/2012 UTC) at Birdie's Cafe - 233 E. Main St. in Westminster, Maryland USA

Leaving on the OBCZ shelf in memory of MaryZee.

Journal Entry 8 by krin511 at Westminster, Maryland USA on Saturday, November 3, 2012
Picked up at the BC-in-DC meetup today! I look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 9 by krin511 at Westminster, Maryland USA on Saturday, March 16, 2024
I read this book years ago and enjoyed it. I learned about Washington's goal to unite the new states through transforming the Potomac river into a trade route.

Journal Entry 10 by krin511 at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Maryland USA on Saturday, March 16, 2024

Released 3 mos ago (3/16/2024 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Maryland USA

Released at the March 2024 BCinDC meeting!