Merchant of Alphabets

by Reginald Orcutt | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by funambule of St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada on 4/2/2003
Journal Entry 1 by funambule from St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada on Wednesday, April 2, 2003
a very interesting book. rare too. i googled it and only found one mention of it, and i couldnt even get that link to work. how i acquired this book is also rather interesting. i bought it last year for 50 centimes at a bouquinade (used book sale) on the tiny French island of St-Pierre (south of Newfoundland). It has a bookplate inside that says "À mon ami, François S. Leroux, Saint-Pierre, Saint-Pierre & Miquelon. Avec mes sincères amitiés. 11 septembre 1950" and printed on the bookplate is Reginald Orcutt, 36 Catherine Street, Newport, Rhode Island, U.S.A. I think it's a very cool little find as well as being a very interesting book. The author, Reginald Orcutt, was a linotype salesman early in the twentieth century, and he travelled all over the world selling typesetting machines to all sorts of fascinating characters.

Anyway, this book is staying in my private collection for now, but someday I'll find someone who'll also enjoy it as much. I don't want to release it in the wild because it don't trust enough in fate that the right person will find it.