The Secret Life of Bees

Registered by wingsgscarcliffwing on 3/14/2003
Journal Entry 1 by wingsgscarcliffwing on Friday, March 14, 2003
Very good book about a young girl living in the south in the 1960's

Journal Entry 2 by wingsgscarcliffwing on Friday, March 14, 2003
Here is the final Bookray list for the Secret Life of Bees.

I hope everyone enjoys the book. When done with book PM the next person on the list for their mailing address. If there is no reply PM the following person. Also if someone will be unreachable by e-mail, pm the person on the list before you and give them the mailing address, so the book can be sent on even if you are not reachable.

Piper1 Wisconsin - in the mail 3/24, received 3/27
pchemphd - Florida
DreissM - Texas
Doris - Canada

Susan

Journal Entry 3 by piper1 from Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA on Thursday, March 27, 2003
Just received this book from sgscarcliff - Thank you. Part of a very long bookring. Will read quickly & pass on.

Journal Entry 4 by piper1 from Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA on Thursday, April 3, 2003
This was a very good book. I enjoyed it very much. I loved the information on bees and beehives and similiarity between the bees and the support system Lily found. The power of women is an awesome thing. Be sure to read the Q&A with the author in the back. The history of Black Madonnas is fascinating.

This book is buzzing off to Caretta in Alabama!

Journal Entry 5 by caretta from Lynchburg, Virginia USA on Thursday, April 10, 2003
This book arrived in the mail when I was out-of-town and was waiting for me when I came home. I will start reading it this weekend.

Journal Entry 6 by caretta from Lynchburg, Virginia USA on Tuesday, April 22, 2003
I really enjoyed this book. Although some of the characters and story-lines were not as well-developed as they could have been, the parts about Lily and the beekeeping sisters were really strong and well-written. I want to send copies of this book to some of my own surrogate mothers!

I'll be sending this book on to Linnefaulk tomorrow. Thanks, sgscarcliff, for starting this bookray!

Journal Entry 7 by linnefaulk from Wesley Chapel, Florida USA on Tuesday, April 29, 2003
Just received in the mail today. I hope I can read it quickly and get it back on it's way!

Journal Entry 8 by linnefaulk from Wesley Chapel, Florida USA on Friday, May 16, 2003
I really enjoyed this book. Lily is a very courageous person even though she didn't know who she was at the time. She folloed her heart and found happiness. It's off to Libby2 now.

Journal Entry 9 by Libby2 from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Thursday, May 29, 2003
It's here at last! I've been waiting for this book to arrive, not starting another long book in the meantime, so that I can read it and keep it moving along the bookray. Thanks to linnefaulk for mailing it, and sgscarcliff for starting this ray.

Journal Entry 10 by Libby2 from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Tuesday, June 10, 2003
This was a very good book. I found the reading to be easy and fast. The heart-breaking childhood of Lily was so moving and real, it was impossible not to feel her pain. I especially enjoyed reading about the bee-keeping sisters and the Black Madonnas - very informative. I recommend this book as a good story, well-told and rich with deftly woven details.

"Bees" will soon be winging their way to mjm in Idaho!

Journal Entry 11 by Libby2 from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Saturday, June 14, 2003
Mailed to mjm in Idaho today by media-mail. Clear the schedule, mjm, you are in for a good novel!

Journal Entry 12 by mjm from Draper, Utah USA on Monday, June 23, 2003
Received in the mail today as part of bookring. Can't wait to read this one! I have one other bookring to hurry and finish and then I'll dive in!

Journal Entry 13 by mjm from Draper, Utah USA on Sunday, July 6, 2003
Can I say delightful enough? It seems as though many of the books I've read lately have been depressing and somwhat difficult to get through, so this book came as a beautiful breath of fresh air. The retrospective nature of the story was beautiful. I was so invested in the story, that I was thankful that the author didn't jump too quickly out of the ending. I won't ruin the ending, but I found it all true to the characters. I will definitely be recommending this book to my friends. Sending off to moogytee (I beleive...I don't have the list in front of me!) Will send of tomorrow.

Journal Entry 14 by moogytee from Sacramento, California USA on Wednesday, July 30, 2003
Arrived safe and sound, and I've started reading it. Hope to be finished sometime next week. THANKS!

Journal Entry 15 by moogytee from Sacramento, California USA on Wednesday, August 6, 2003
I really enjoyed this book and found it very original despite having some common themes of southern literature (mean daddy, etc.). My favorite quote:

"You think you want to know something, then once you do, all you can think about is erasing it from your mind. From now on when people asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I planned to say, Amnesiac."

The book will be in the mail shortly. Thanks for the bookring!

Journal Entry 16 by txcajun from Carrollton, Texas USA on Saturday, September 27, 2003
I have been remiss in registering the receipt of this book. I've just started it, but will work hard to finish it soon and send it on its way. Mea culpa!