Sent by Earth: A Message from the Grandmother Spirit After the Bombing of the World Trade Center and the Pentagon

by Alice Walker | Nonfiction |
Registered by karoda of Louisville, Kentucky USA on 3/7/2003
Journal Entry 1 by karoda from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Friday, March 7, 2003
It just arrived today from Amazon today! Not sure if I will release or buy another one to release...its a small gem of a book at 57 pages.

Journal Entry 2 by karoda from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Friday, March 14, 2003
With all the pontificating the world over on the possibility of war, my anxiety is constant. Ms Walker's words make me feel like the me I want to be...puts me in the frame of mind not to loose sight of what it means to be life affirming.

I was so moved by the following idea, that I decided to offer this up to other BC'ers in my 1st book ray. She submits: I believe war is a weapon of persons without personal power, that is to say, the power to reason, the power to persuade, from a position of morality and integrity; and that to go to war with any enemy who is weaker than you is to admit you possess no resources within yourself to bring to bear on your own fate.

I am challenged to understand and embrace fully her notion of the only punishment that works is love. I have seen that in action time and time again but on small scales. I know the action of love works at this level...how could this be applied to policies among nations, especially nations at odds??????

I will be awaiting reviews from other bookcrossers. Peace.

Journal Entry 3 by karoda at To a Bookcrossing ya-ya. in Bad Axe, Michigan USA on Monday, March 17, 2003
Release planned for Tuesday, March 18, 2003 at To a Bookcrossing ya-ya. in Bad Axe, Michigan USA.

My first book ray begins with DSM! DSM will mail to Raku.

Journal Entry 4 by DSM from Forestville, Michigan USA on Wednesday, March 26, 2003
This book touched me and made me really stop and think about how we view this world - how we look at man, and war.

I believe in love - truly I do. But I don't believe that her perception on how this is the way to handle people like Hussein is plausible. Circling someone w/love - reminding them of all the good things they have done in their lifetime - how would this help? Does she really believe that if we sat BinLaden down and 'reminded him of all the good, non-violent thing he has done' and make him 'understand the preciousness of the lives he has destroyed' that he will change? I just don't see it. I do agree w/Karoda that this can and has worked on a smaller scale.

Something that did jump out at me was he views on grieving..
"To grieve is above all to acknowledge loss, to understand there is a natural end to endless gain. To grieve means to come to an understanding, finally, of inevitable balance; Life will right itself, though how it does this remains, and will doubtless remain, mysterious.

Although I don't believe her theories on 'love & war' I was impressed by this book - and learned from it.

Journal Entry 5 by karoda from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Monday, March 31, 2003
Bookray list:
16. brown-eyedgirl/Australia
17. Poyaya-LA
18. Cajunsmashed/Ontario

Journal Entry 6 by raku from Lancaster, Ohio USA on Wednesday, April 23, 2003
Alice Walker has a deep, deep soul. Sent By Earth gives us much to think about when it comes to conflict, big or small, on how much differently it can be managed - without war. I was moved by the account of a man in a tribe who had done wrong, was surrounded by the people and told of all his good qualities and deeds. Imagine......

Journal Entry 7 by palomaranch on Thursday, May 1, 2003
I received this book in the mail this week from fellow BookCrosser Raku in Ohio; it is in a book ring initiated by Karoda.

Journal Entry 8 by palomaranch on Wednesday, May 7, 2003
Alice Walker asks, “Where do we start? How do we reclaim a proper relationship to the world?” For me, the answer lies in recognizing that just as no culture or race can claim superiority, neither can any species of creatures. As Ms. Walker says, “Remember what Black Elk observed: that all living beings are essentially alike.” How can we expect universal displays of 'love' from a species that shows so little compassion to other life forms?

I especially liked the mudra that Ms. Walker said had been sent to her by the Grandmother Spirit of the Earth. "The mudra is to hold the thumb and first two fingers together, symbolizing unity, while making a circle around one’s heart. A circle that covers as much of the body as possible. Or as large a circle as one has need.” I can see myself using this mudra.

Journal Entry 9 by palomaranch on Thursday, May 8, 2003
This book was mailed today to fellow BookCrosser marinaw in Austin, Texas.

Journal Entry 10 by marinaw from Dripping Springs, Texas USA on Saturday, May 10, 2003
Received in today's mail. Will read ASAP and send it the next in line.

Journal Entry 11 by marinaw from Dripping Springs, Texas USA on Tuesday, May 27, 2003
Not what I was expecting, but was able to gather a few gemlike truths from this book:

"Midwives, whose business of birthin' and babies is, I believe, the most honorable on earth."
"The most important thing that happens in a person's life is that they be welcomed when they are born." (Sobonfu Some)"
"I would like for [Osama bin Laden] to understand that the shadow he wishes upon us, of poverty, fear, an almost constant state of terror, is merely the America too many of us already know."
"While it is true that the soul can never be destroyed, it can certainly leave us and take up residence elsewhere" (Clarissa Pinkola-Estes)
"Women must be supported, loved, listened to, cared for, as they are carrying life and attempting to deliver it to our world."

update 6/6/03: *finally* leaving Austin today, on its way to DrKelleher in PA.

Journal Entry 12 by DrKelleher from Zelienople, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, June 9, 2003
The book arrived in today's mail. I will begin reading it tonight.

Journal Entry 13 by karoda from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Friday, November 7, 2003
I've contacted DrKelleher, several times. The last contact was about 2 weeks ago and the agreement was she would mail it back to me and I will re-start this ray with grover3d.

Journal Entry 14 by karoda from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Tuesday, November 25, 2003
I can't believe it! But this book arrived yesterday!!!!!!!!! I will get it out to grover3d this weekend and start it back on it's journey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Released on Friday, January 09, 2004 at Being mailed to another Bookcrosser in St. Louis, Missouri USA.

Mailed out Friday morning.

Journal Entry 16 by Betsy-STL from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Tuesday, January 13, 2004
Rec'd in today's mail. Thanks Karoda. I'll read it ASAP and send it on its way.
````````````````````````````````````````````
Update: 1-14-04
A thought provoking little book that offers love as a solution or alternative to war. I admire Alice Walker's spirit and embrace her idealogy. However, I can't fathom this circle of love working on such a large scale (the scale beig worldwide).
`````````````````````````````````
Will mail when I receive Kalipriestess' address.

Journal Entry 17 by Betsy-STL at Postal Release in -- Mailed, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Thursday, January 15, 2004
Release planned for Friday, January 16, 2004 at Postal Release in USPS, postal release USA.

Releasing to Kalipriestess.
`````````````````````````````````
Actually mailed on Jan.21 first-class, delivery confirmation # 03031910000029934842. Delivered January 24th.

Journal Entry 18 by kalipriestess from Tallahassee, Florida USA on Monday, February 9, 2004
Received recently. I signed up for this so long ago I wasn't sure I'd ever get it! I was so excited when Betsy-STL contacted me for my address! I'm swamped with books, but this shouldn't take too long to read.