Case Histories

by Kate Atkinson | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingMyssCynwing of San Antonio, Texas USA on 11/11/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wingMyssCynwing from San Antonio, Texas USA on Sunday, November 11, 2007
Library sale find. Available for trade or postage.

Journal Entry 2 by wingMyssCynwing from San Antonio, Texas USA on Saturday, April 26, 2008
Sending to MsJoanna for her donation to bethieb's Arthritis Walk

Journal Entry 3 by msjoanna from Columbia, Missouri USA on Wednesday, May 7, 2008
From Publishers Weekly
In this ambitious fourth novel from Whitbread winner Atkinson (Behind the Scenes at the Museum), private detective Jackson Brodie—ex-cop, ex-husband and weekend dad—takes on three cases involving past crimes that occurred in and around London. The first case introduces two middle-aged sisters who, after the death of their vile, distant father, look again into the disappearance of their beloved sister Olivia, last seen at three years old, while they were camping under the stars during an oppressive heat wave. A retired lawyer who lives only on the fumes of possible justice next enlists Jackson's aid in solving the brutal killing of his grown daughter 10 years earlier. In the third dog-eared case file, the sibling of an infamous ax-bludgeoner seeks a reunion with her niece, who as a baby was a witness to murder. Jackson's reluctant persistence heats up these cold cases and by happenstance leads him to reassess his own painful history. The humility of the extraordinary, unabashed characters is skillfully revealed with humor and surprise. Atkinson contrasts the inevitable results of family dysfunction with random fate, gracefully weaving the three stories into a denouement that taps into collective wishful thinking and suggests that warmth and safety may be found in the aftermath of blood and abandonment. Atkinson's meaty, satisfying prose will attract many eager readers.
---------------------
I previously had a copy of this, but ended up releasing it unread and then wishing I'd read it. Perhaps this copy I'll get the chance to read before passing it along.

Journal Entry 4 by msjoanna at Columbia, Missouri USA on Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Released 11 yrs ago (9/17/2012 UTC) at Columbia, Missouri USA

Mailed to krin511. I enjoyed the audiobook version of this book.

Journal Entry 5 by krin511 at Olney, Maryland USA on Friday, September 21, 2012
Arrived today - thanks!

Journal Entry 6 by krin511 at Olney, Maryland USA on Sunday, April 21, 2024
I enjoyed this first book in the Jackson Brodie series. At first, I wasn't sure how the case stories would connect and who the characters were. But, by the end, I was looking forward to reading the next book someday.

Released 1 mo ago (4/21/2024 UTC) at Day Of The Book (Street Festival) On Howard Avenue in Kensington, Maryland USA

Releasing at the annual Day of the Book Festival in Kensington, Maryland!