Apple of My Eye

by Helene Hanff | Nonfiction |
Registered by froggirlwendy of Bracken Ridge, Queensland Australia on 7/15/2007
Journal Entry 1 by froggirlwendy from Bracken Ridge, Queensland Australia on Sunday, July 15, 2007
FROM THE BACK:
"In her outstandingly successful 84 Charing Cross Road Helene Hanff told the story of her love affair with an antiquarian bookshop in London. In Apple of My Eye she celebrates something even bigger - her lifelong love for New York. Asked to write some copy about "The Big Apple", she found to her dismay that she knew hardly anything about her own city, and so she asked a friend to go exploring with her. This is the story of that madcap voyage of discovery."

Journal Entry 2 by froggirlwendy from Bracken Ridge, Queensland Australia on Friday, August 31, 2007
RABCK reserved for jessibud, in Canada.

Journal Entry 3 by froggirlwendy at Controlled release in Boondall, Queensland Australia on Friday, August 31, 2007

Released 16 yrs ago (8/31/2007 UTC) at Controlled release in Boondall, Queensland Australia

Finally on it's way to jessibud. I hope you enjoy :o)

Journal Entry 4 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Thursday, September 20, 2007
YAY! It's here! Even though there are a few others ahead of this one in line to be read, I am really looking forward to this book! I adore Helene Hanff and this book has been eluding me for a long time, until you came to my rescue, froggirlwendy! Thanks so much!

Journal Entry 5 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, February 13, 2010
This shouldn't have taken me such a long time to get to but I finally picked it off the shelf and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I found it all the more poignant, knowing the eventual outcome of the twin towers (The World Trade Centre) that Hanff refers to so often.

It will remain in my permanent collection until I can find someone else who wants it.

Journal Entry 6 by jessibud at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, April 25, 2017
Quite unexpectedly, I found a hardcover copy of this book at one of our local LFLs (little free libraries). The hardcover has many black and white photographs in it so although I have been trying to unload hardcovers from my shelves in recent years, I think I will keep the newly found one and bring this little book to our next meetup so it can keep travelling. I am sure someone will enjoy it. It is Helene Hanff, after all!

Journal Entry 7 by miss-efficiency at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, May 9, 2017
Jessibud recommended this to me at our local BookCrossing gathering on the weekend. I quite enjoyed 84 Charing Cross Road, so I'm looking forward to reading this one.

Journal Entry 8 by miss-efficiency at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, February 9, 2019
A fun little time capsule from New York City in the 1970s.

Reading it in 2019, as someone who was born around the site time it was written, Apple of My Eye is more of a history lesson than travel writing. Fascinating to get a picture of NYC at that moment in time, when the city was bankrupt, the twin towers of World Trade Center were a new and novel addition to the skyline, and ubiquitous things like Starbucks and hip hop did not exist yet. The art deco Bonwit Teller department store had yet to be demolished to make way for Trump Tower.

Oh yeah, also changes in technology, like THE INTERNET! I do remember life before the internet (my first trip to NYC in 1995 relied heavily on a Let's Go Guidebook), but it's charming to see how Helene and Patsy operate in a bygone era. Their primary tools for organizing their adventures were newspaper clippings and the phone book. It was a fun exercise to imagine as I was reading about their adventures, how they might have played out today. It kept crossing my mind that Helene Hanff was ahead of her time, in that her style is that of a blogger. She would have thrived in the blogosphere!

Journal Entry 9 by miss-efficiency at Harbord House Pub in Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, February 9, 2019

Released 5 yrs ago (2/9/2019 UTC) at Harbord House Pub in Toronto, Ontario Canada

Taking this back to our BookCrossing Toronto meetup at the pub.

Journal Entry 10 by Bookgirrl at Acton, Ontario Canada on Saturday, February 9, 2019
I love Helen Hanff and I haven't (at least I think I haven't!) read this book. It's so little and charming looking. I love the cover design. Also, I went to NYC in 2006, and just loved every minute. I want to go back!

Journal Entry 11 by Bookgirrl at Acton, Ontario Canada on Sunday, February 23, 2020
OK, I've had this book for too long. 'Taking to our Toronto meetup today. Is there any way we can get a cover shot for this book? It looks so sad being blank on the Bookcrossing website. Since I didn't register it, I don't think I can add the cover shot myself.

Journal Entry 12 by Bookgirrl at Harbord House Pub in Toronto, Ontario Canada on Sunday, February 23, 2020

Released 4 yrs ago (2/23/2020 UTC) at Harbord House Pub in Toronto, Ontario Canada

Dear Finder of this book: What you have in your hands is an honest-to-goodness free "travelling" book, registered on Bookcrossing.com. What is Bookcrossing? Well, it is like geo-caching for books. It's also free, anonymous and aims "to make the whole world a library", fostering a love of reading by leaving free books in public places. Please take a moment to make a Journal Entry (see label inside the cover) - you can do this anonymously, so you won't get any spammy stuff, and it will let us know the book has been been found. When you are done with the book, pass it on - i.e. "set it free" and help its journey continue.

Journal Entry 13 by Bookgirrl at Queens Park in Toronto, Ontario Canada on Sunday, August 23, 2020

Released 3 yrs ago (8/23/2020 UTC) at Queens Park in Toronto, Ontario Canada

Dear Finder of this book: You have found a free "travelling" book, registered on Bookcrossing.com. Bookcrossing is like geo-caching for books. It is also free, anonymous and aims to foster a love of reading by leaving free books in public places. Please take a moment to make a Journal Entry (see label inside the cover) so we know its been found. When you are done with the book, "set it free" and help its journey continue.

Journal Entry 14 by miss-efficiency at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Sunday, March 12, 2023
Picked this up at our BookCrossing meetup, but now I see that not only have I already read this title, I read this very book a few years ago and left an uncharacteristically detailed review. I'll move it along soon.