by Michael Crichton | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by 2percentright on 1/12/2007
Journal Entry 1 by 2percentright on Friday, January 12, 2007
From Amazon:
"Is a loved one missing some body parts? Are blondes becoming extinct? Is everyone at your dinner table of the same species? Humans and chimpanzees differ in only 400 genes; is that why a chimp fetus resembles a human being? And should that worry us? There's a new genetic cure for drug addiction--is it worse than the disease?

We live in a time of momentous scientific leaps, a time when it's possible to sell our eggs and sperm online for thousands of dollars and to test our spouses for genetic maladies.

We live in a time when one fifth of all our genes are owned by someone else, and an unsuspecting person and his family can be pursued cross-country because they happen to have certain valuable genes within their chromosomes...

Devilishly clever, Next blends fact and fiction into a breathless tale of a new world where nothing is what it seems and a set of new possibilities can open at every turn.

Next challenges our sense of reality and notions of morality. Balancing the comic and the bizarre with the genuinely frightening and disturbing, Next shatters our assumptions and reveals shocking new choices where we least expect.

The future is closer than you think."

Bookray.
darjeeling
sarra
Rrrcaron
kennie2775

Journal Entry 2 by Bibliocrates from Pueblo, Colorado USA on Tuesday, January 16, 2007
I caught this book in the mail today. Thanks for sending it to me so quickly 2percentright! I will get to it ASAP!

Journal Entry 3 by Bibliocrates from Pueblo, Colorado USA on Tuesday, February 6, 2007
This book was very interesting, to say the least, filled with ethical issues to think about! The story was engaging, thrilling, and even a bit funny at times, but I felt like I was left hangin' with regard to some of the characters. There were too many characters to keep up with, sub plots, and one mysterious french woman I never quite figured out. Gerard, the transgenic talking parrot, was awesome, but the whole Dave situation, humanzees, wow, a very frightening concept.

I really liked the Author's Note at the end. I think I share his views on many of the ethical issues brought up in this book. I don't think genes should be patented either. It's too bad business and science cannot be kept separate.

Thank you for sharing this book 2percentright! I am looking forward to finding out what the rest of you think of the book.

Journal Entry 4 by Bibliocrates from Pueblo, Colorado USA on Tuesday, February 6, 2007
This book is on its way to Booklady331 to continue the ray. I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 5 by wingbooklady331wing from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Saturday, February 17, 2007
Arrived in the mail yesterday. I didn't get a chance to journal as I have a house FULL of people for a wedding this evening. There are 14 of us here. I am finishing A Bend in The Road, then this will be the next one. Thank you 2percentright for sharing.

Journal Entry 6 by wingbooklady331wing from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Wednesday, February 28, 2007
I enjoyed the book, but I found it scary to think of where we are going as a society. It seemed real, not fiction. It was hard for me to tell what is already true and what is coming in the future. I repect the way Crichton is not afraid to tackle difficult issues. I, also, was impressed with his recommendations and research.

Journal Entry 7 by wingbooklady331wing at By Mail in per Post, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Released 17 yrs ago (2/28/2007 UTC) at By Mail in per Post, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Off to lane1088

Journal Entry 8 by lane1088 from Indian Trail, North Carolina USA on Thursday, March 8, 2007
Just got this in the mail today. When it rains it pours!! LOL I didn't have any bookring for weeks and then I get four within a week. I have three other bookrays in front of this one but don't worry. I'm a fast reader and plan to finish by the end of this month or the beginning of april at the latest. Thanks to 2percentright for sending the book out to me.

Journal Entry 9 by lane1088 from Indian Trail, North Carolina USA on Sunday, April 1, 2007
I am probably in the minority but I didn't like the book. I liked the ideas in the book but the story was not written well at all. There were too many characters to keep track of and you didn't know who was important and who wasn't. I mean he was still introducing new characters at page 200. There were so many subplots that you couldn't understand what his plot was. I'm not sure there was a plot really but many, many subplots. I don't have any clue what he was trying to say with this book.

I am a scientist by training and am taught to evaluate research on its own basis. Crichton did his homework somewhat in science and research that is available but then his subplot went completely counter to what he is saying. Take for example, the scientist whose's brother inhaled the virus because he wanted to get high. There is so much security and oversight now a days with new therapies/drugs that there is no way he could have just walked out of the lab with the inhaler. And for his company not to have done anything with him not returning the vial for two weeks but letting him take out anohter one--unrealistic. It was like he stated this is how things are done but my charcaters are going to do something else because I'm trying to prove a point. Well that is just really bad creative liscense. The set guidelines and procedures he describes are very accurate but the actions taken by his characters are impossible in the world we live in.

Having said, that do I think some of the scenerios he points out about people owning genes and cell lines are true--YES. There is a lot of comercialization of science--too much sometimes. It is about making money and who owns what. The universities used to be the standard for "basic" research--pure research not affected by captialistic ideals. In fact the part of the book I liked most was his afterword which I believe is quiet true. No one should own genes they are a part of human beings in general. Should you be able to develop drugs and therapies from that--sure but how would you like others to own something that belongs by nature to you. I think these are the points Crichton was trying to make--he didn't succeed. There was so much potential in the stories but he didn't end up making much point in trying to combine them all--except to scare people. This possible future has potential of coming true but as a good story it did not succeed.

Glade1 asked to be skipped and I already have Grannyann's address. I plan to mail it out tomorrow.

Released 17 yrs ago (4/2/2007 UTC) at To the next participant in Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

I sent this by media mail to GrannyAnn. Hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 11 by GrannyAnn from West Henrietta, New York USA on Saturday, April 7, 2007
Received in the mail yesterday. After reading the previous journalers, I'm looking forward to reading and making my own judgement. I've enjoyed many of Michael Crichton's books and disliked as many!

Thanks, 2percentright, for hosting this ring.

Journal Entry 12 by GrannyAnn from West Henrietta, New York USA on Sunday, April 22, 2007
I enjoyed this book. It makes you think about personal freedom, privacy and the runaway speed of "progress". It was a little disjointed at times but had some valuable lessons. The plot moved but the character development was slim.

Thanks,2percentright, for hosting this ring.

Mailed media mail on 4/21/07 to Perryfran. Delivery confirmation #03063030000249236423.

Journal Entry 13 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Wednesday, April 25, 2007
Received in today's mail. Looking forward to reading this - I haven't read a Crichton novel in a number of years so am anxious to see how this one holds up against some of his classics like Jurassic Park, Sphere, and Congo. Thanks 2percentright for including me. I have a couple of bookrings in front of this but should get to it soon.

Update 5/18/07: Started reading today.

Journal Entry 14 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Wednesday, May 30, 2007
Interesting book! Yes, the plot was a little hard to follow and there were too many characters to keep track of, but, overall I think Crichton presented his message well with humor and satire thrown in along the way. The scenes with the transgenic animals were, I thought, far-fetched but enjoyable nonetheless; including the smart-mouthed parrot, the talking (and swearing in Dutch) orangutan, and Dave, the loveable talking chimp. Crichton, as usual, expresses his concerns on the foibles of science, genetic engineering, technology transfer, etc. and, as usual, writes some terrific 'what if' plots based on man's innate stupidity and warns us about the implications of these fast-moving sciences on our everyday lives. Even though there were too many characters, every single little chapter gripped me and provoked some serious thought about what is happening in genetic engineering and where we are headed. Overall, I really enjoyed it.

I have darjeeling's address and will get the book off to Portugal tomorrow. Thanks for including me in this bookray!

Released 17 yrs ago (5/31/2007 UTC) at To the next participant in Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

On its way to darjeeling in Lisbon, Portugal. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 16 by darjeeling on Sunday, July 1, 2007
With me now, thank you Perryfran and 2percentright!