Abyssinian Chronicles: A Novel

by Moses Isegawa | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by bartonz of Bellevue, Washington USA on 11/4/2006
Journal Entry 1 by bartonz from Bellevue, Washington USA on Saturday, November 4, 2006
looks fun

Journal Entry 2 by bartonz from Bellevue, Washington USA on Saturday, March 3, 2007
Since the end of 2005, I have been participating in a reading challenge whereby the participants are attempting to read a book by an author (or if there isn’t one translated into English, about the country) for each of the 200+ countries participating in the 2008 Summer Olympics. We have until the end of the Beijing Games to finish our reading. My thirty first is “Abyssinian Chronicles: A Novel” the debut novel by Ugandan author Moses Isegawa.

Isegawa was born in Kampala, the capitol of Uganda and emigrated to The Netherlands in 1990 where he now resides.

The story of “Abyssinian Chronicles: A Novel” takes place in the chaotic Uganda of the 1940’s – 1990’s. It relates the saga of narrator Mugezi’s life and family in the midst of a splintering country. Uganda was shattered by multiple regime changes, differences among practitioners of Protestant, Catholic and Muslim religions, animosities between clans in the north and south/east and west, and ethnic strife among Africans, British and Indians. Mugezi is a survivor – first of his despotic parents, then of his taskmasters at the seminary, the guerilla warfare and finally of the utter breakdown of his family, village and nation. The tale is told amidst the backdrop of love, sex, AIDS, and death. Despite the cycles of destruction, the people just want to live a life of peace and hope.

Journal Entry 3 by bartonz from Bellevue, Washington USA on Thursday, April 12, 2007
Sent to hendertuckian as part of the Asia/Africa/Latin America/Middle East VBB

Journal Entry 4 by hendertuckian from Henderson, Nevada USA on Tuesday, April 17, 2007
I too read this for Olympic Challenge and enjoyed the way the 3 generations of stories were told, in most cases, to their complete end. Sending this book to kaytan

Journal Entry 5 by katyan from Detroit, Michigan USA on Monday, November 12, 2007
This book arrived here today! Thank you again hendertuckian! We went to pick it up from the local post office with Satya, who eagerly carried the books back home & made many people to smile during the way...:)

Journal Entry 6 by katyan from Detroit, Michigan USA on Sunday, March 16, 2008
This was a really well written book from Africa, and even it was sad and tough at times, it was enjoyable to read this story. It really described well a culture in crisis, as was told in the back cover. But still, hope was near.

I read this book as a part of my Book from every country in the world-challenge (Uganda).

Journal Entry 7 by wingLeishaCamdenwing from Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Wednesday, April 2, 2008
This arrived in the mail from Finland today. :-) Thank you so much, katyan! I really appreciate it. I'm not participating the Olympic challenge - I didn't discover it in time, I could never finish it - but I have set up a 'book from every country' lifetime challenge for myself. In which this book will represent Uganda. It looks like a really good book, I'm really looking forward to reading it. Thanks again! I'll journal again when I've read the book.