Use of Weapons

by Iain M. Banks | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
ISBN: 185723135x Global Overview for this book
Registered by Molyneux of Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on 7/2/2006
Journal Entry 1 by kittiwake on Sunday, July 2, 2006
I brought this book back from the UK Unconvention this weekend.

Journal Entry 2 by Molyneux from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, July 2, 2006
Pre-numbered label used for registration.

Journal Entry 3 by kittiwake on Friday, April 24, 2009
'Oh, Cheradenine,' Sma said. 'Don't pretend it hasn't been fun, too.'
'Sma, believe me; it has not all been "fun".' He leant against a cabinet full of ancient projectile weapons. 'And, worse than all that,' he insisted, 'is when you turn the goddamn maps upside-down.'
'What?' Sma said, puzzled.
'Turning the maps upside down,' he repeated. 'Have you got any idea how annoying and inconvenient it is when you get to a place and find that they map the place the other way up compared to the maps you've got? Because of something stupid like some people think a magnetic needle is pointing up to heaven, when other people think it's just heavier and pointing down? Or because it's done according to the galactic place or something? I mean, this may sound trivial, but it's very upsetting.'

Cheradenine Zalkadwe used to be a Special Circumstances agent, but stopped working for the Culture a long time ago. Now Diziet Sma, who originally recruited him, has to find him wherever he is hiding and persuade him to come back.

The chapters numbered One, Two, Three, etc are describing current events, while the alternating chapters numbered XIII, XII, XI, etc. describe Zakalwe's past working backwards towards the traumatic events that shaped his life. Until I realised (about a third of the way through the book) I was finding it very confusing.

This book has a truly unexpected ending that makes you see everything that happened in a new light. Fantastic!

But read "Consider Phlebas" or "Player of Games" before tackling "Use of Weapons", as they explain how the Culture works in more detail.

Released 15 yrs ago (5/30/2009 UTC) at The Amber Rooms 🍺 in Loughborough, Leicestershire United Kingdom

At the Lougborough meet-up.

Journal Entry 5 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, May 31, 2009
Taken for my husband to read. We have Consider Phlebas already, luckily!

Journal Entry 6 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 20, 2010
There is a more urgent need, sorry Hugh!

Journal Entry 7 by wingCross-patchwing at A BookCrosser, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Released 14 yrs ago (1/20/2010 UTC) at A BookCrosser, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Happy birthday, Michelle

Journal Entry 8 by perfect-circle from Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Friday, January 22, 2010
Oh, I feel bad Hugh didn't get to read it first! Thank you very much, I have Consider Phlebas so will tackle that one first, but am looking forward to this.

Journal Entry 9 by perfect-circle at Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 11, 2012
I think this is one of my prefered Culture books, mainly for the main story and the ending. I found the backwards chapters a little confusing at first.

Welcome to Bookcrossing!

I hope you enjoy reading the book you have found and that you might take a few moments to jot down here what you thought about it.

You don't have to join bookcrossing to leave a comment here but if you do join, you will receive emails to alert you when others make a journal entry for this book and track its travels across the world. If you do join, please mention me, perfect-circle, as the person who introduced you to the site.

Happy reading