Weave World

by Clive Barker | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by Phoeniks of Westervoort, Gelderland Netherlands on 12/10/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Phoeniks from Westervoort, Gelderland Netherlands on Saturday, December 10, 2005
Dit boek heeft iemand ooit bij mij achter gelaten. Ik heb het niet gelezen en laat dit aan een ander over.

Journal Entry 2 by eowyn-unquendor from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, December 10, 2005
Meegenomen na de meet in OBCZ-Bazoeka in Arnhem.

Here is storytelling on a grand scale--the stuff of which a classic is made. Weaveworld begins with a rug--a wondrous, magnificent rug--into which a world has been woven. It is the world of the Seerkind, a people more ancient than man, who possesses raptures--the power to make magic. In the last century they were hunted down by an unspeakable horror known as the Scourge, and, threatened with annihilation, they worked their strongest raptures to weave themselves and their culture into a rug for safekeeping. Since then, the rug has been guarded by human caretakers.

The last of the caretakers has just died.

Vying for possession of the rug is a spectrum of unforgettable characters: Suzanna, granddaughter of the last caretaker, who feels the pull of the Weaveworld long before she knows the extent of her own powers; Calhoun Mooney, a pigeon-raising clerk who finds the world he's always dreamed of in a fleeting glimpse of the rug; Immacolata, an exiled Seerkind witch intent on destroying her race even if it means calling back the Scourge; and her sidekick, Shadwell, the Salesman, who will sell the Weaveworld to the highest bidder.

In the course of the novel the rug is unwoven, and we travel deep into the glorious raptures of the Weaveworld before we witness the final, cataclysmic struggle for its possession.

Barker takes us to places where we have seldom been in fiction--places terrifying and miraculous, humorous, and profound. With keen psychological insight and prodigious invention, his trademark graphic vision balanced by a spirit of transcendent promise, Barker explores the darkness and the light, the magical and the monstrous, and celebrates the triumph of the imagination.

1972Galadriel said this one is an excellent read, so I took it with me :)

Journal Entry 3 by eowyn-unquendor from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, July 16, 2006
It was a very good read, but just a bit too long to give it my 'excellent' approval. However, I totally love these parallel world fantasy books and I had problems putting the book down.
Indeed, no horror. Just two scenes I was happy to read in full daylight :)

Gereserveerd voor Qimp!

Journal Entry 4 by Qimp from Deventer, Overijssel Netherlands on Sunday, July 1, 2007
Thanks eowyn-unquendor for bringing this book to Castricum. I enjoyed reading Barker's Imagica a lot, so I'm looking forward to reading this one!

Journal Entry 5 by Qimp at Oudegoedstraat in Deventer, Overijssel Netherlands on Saturday, June 5, 2010

Released 14 yrs ago (6/5/2010 UTC) at Oudegoedstraat in Deventer, Overijssel Netherlands

Tijdens de straatmarkt zaterdag 5 juni 10.00 - 15.00 uur.