Thirty Nothing

by Lisa Jewell | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by CdnBlueRose of Steinbach, Manitoba Canada on 8/20/2005
Journal Entry 1 by CdnBlueRose from Steinbach, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, August 20, 2005
From Publishers Weekly
Like a fizzy cocktail, Jewell's follow-up to her bestselling Ralph's Party is quickly consumed and sometimes dizzying. Set in posh London, the plot adheres to the When Harry Met Sally formula of romantic comedyAtwo characters are unaware of their love for each other. Naturally, readers witness a string of calamities eventually resulting in a happy-ever-after ending. Dig Ryan and Nadine Kite, best friends for 15 years, have exhausted the dating market. Dig, who works for a small record label, wakes up on his 30th birthday with a 17-year-old girl in his bed, and suddenly feels old. He and Nadine, a 30-year-old freelance photographer, resolve to stop living as serial monogamists and find love with mature adults (to become, as Bridget Jones might say, Smug Marrieds). When Dig bumps into Delilah, the most beautiful girl in Holy Trinity high school and his first love, he thinks he may be lucky at last. Nadine is anything but happy at the reappearance, since Delilah, who has come to London without her husband, stole Dig from her once before. Meanwhile, Nadine has contacted her first love, Phil, who's even more of a jerk now than he was a decade ago, except now he's an ex-con, too. Of course, the appealing couple known as Dig 'n' Deen finds its way out of this tangle before the novel's candied close. Jewell's keen observation of British pop culture is perhaps the best attribute of a book that is fun but never quite intoxicating, and which is burdened by an unimaginative cover. (Jan.)

Journal Entry 2 by CdnBlueRose from Steinbach, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, March 23, 2008
I've found I'm not really a fan of chick lit, so I'm sending this along to someone who will, hopefully, enjoy it - xallroyx!

Journal Entry 3 by xallroyx from Huntington Beach, California USA on Monday, March 31, 2008
received today-thanks! :)

Journal Entry 4 by xallroyx at Huntington Beach, California USA on Sunday, June 11, 2017
Wow! I have had this for a long time. Lisa Jewell is one of my favorite authors and I did enjoy this one. Her later works are better.