Waiting : The True Confessions of a Waitress

by Debra Ginsberg | Biographies & Memoirs |
ISBN: 0060194790 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Chryso of Detroit, Michigan USA on 5/27/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Chryso from Detroit, Michigan USA on Friday, May 27, 2005
From the inside flap: "...part memoir, part social commentary, part guide on how to behave when dining out--Ginsberg takes readers on an intimate journey of her twenty years as a waitress at the dingiest of diners, a soap-operatic Italian restaurant, an exculsive five-star dining club, and more.... Colorful, insightful, and often irreverent, Ginsberg's stories truly capture the spirit of the universal things she's learned about human nature, interpersonal relationships, the frightening things that go on in the kitchen, romantic hopes dashed and rebuilt, and all of the frustrating and funny moments in this life. Waiting is for everyone who has had to wait for their life to begin--only to realize, suddenly, that they're living it."

Reserved for later release.

Journal Entry 2 by Chryso from Detroit, Michigan USA on Monday, September 12, 2005
Will start reading this in the next day or two. Then it's reserved for Hellie.

October update: I'm giving up on this book, but it's not the book's fault; I've enjoyed what I've read so far. Being the daughter of a restauranteur, and having been a waitress (or "server," to be PC) myself, I can relate to much of the author's experience. Unfortunately, I seem to be in a reading slump these days, taking far too long to get through a book. So I'm passing this one along in order to get through my TBRs that others are waiting for. I'm sure to come across another copy. :)

Journal Entry 3 by Chryso from Detroit, Michigan USA on Saturday, October 15, 2005
Controlled release for the Never Judge a Book by its Cover Challenge (Week 43: bev. glass). It's in the mail and on its way to Hellie. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by Hellie from South Shields, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 11, 2006
soooooooo sorry thought I'd journakled this.
Loved it..
did silver service iatressing for years and now work in a pub on weekedns where we have to do our share on the floor.

Thjis made me really think about how different it all isd here to in the US..
you'll be pleased to know we always tipn well over there!!

This was really well written and I loved it. will be recommending it to others I know who do/have done waitressing!

Journal Entry 5 by Hellie at Tyneside Cinema in Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Released 18 yrs ago (4/13/2006 UTC) at Tyneside Cinema in Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

at meet

Journal Entry 6 by Vroomfondel from Shipley, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, April 14, 2006
Picked up at last night's excellent Newcastle BookCrossing meet.

Journal Entry 7 by Vroomfondel from Shipley, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, March 2, 2008
An interesting and enjoyable glimpse into the world of waiting. The book is, in reality, pretty much the author's autobiograpy, but when you've done as much working in bars and restaurants as she has, she's full of interesting stories.

The chapter on Hollywood portrayal of waitresses wasn't great, but the rest of book was fine.

Updated 7 June 2009: I'm taking this to perfect-circle. She's then, very kindly, going to use her knowledge and wisdom to get this to a future meet; possibly the Edinburgh BookCrossing Unconvention next month.

Journal Entry 8 by perfect-circle from Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Monday, June 15, 2009
This is one of a number from vroomfondel that appears to have decided to rest on my Mount TBR for a little while before moving on.

Journal Entry 9 by perfect-circle at Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Friday, October 8, 2010
I waited tables through 6th Form College and my first year at uni and that was enough, I certainly couldn't have done it as long as Debra Gisberg has. The book is a great glimpse at the restaurant world in America, there are differences with the UK, but not that many.

Released 11 yrs ago (4/27/2013 UTC) at Newbiggin Maritime Centre⚓️ in Newbiggin-By-The-Sea, Northumberland United Kingdom

Welcome to Bookcrossing!

I hope you enjoy reading the book you have found and that you might take a few moments to jot down here what you thought about it.

You don't have to join bookcrossing to leave a comment here but if you do join, you will receive emails to alert you when others make a journal entry for this book and track its travels across the world. If you do join, please mention me, perfect-circle, as the person who introduced you to the site.

Happy reading