Last Letters Home

by Tamasin Day-Lewis | History |
Registered by barby-girl of Cropwell Bishop, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on 3/18/2005
Journal Entry 1 by barby-girl from Cropwell Bishop, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 18, 2005
I bought this book last week, from the charity shop, specifically for a friend who loves letter writing, but then couldn't resist reading it before I passed it on!

It is a selection of letters written during the Second World War, by those serving in the armed forces, parents, siblings and friends, talking of their experiences, hopes and fears for the future and their love and loyalty for the recipients of the letters.

It is a very moving book, but also uplifting.

Although some of the letters were 'last' letters, often because the writer had written them and left instructions that they be sent on after their death, many of the letters chronicle as many as five years of separation between writer and reciever.

The details of everyday life for those at home, and the hopes of continued love and loyalty for those who were away, are here for us to read in great detail.

In these days of E-mails, text messaging, telephones and faxes, the art of letter writing is fast disappearing!

Journal Entry 2 by barby-girl from Cropwell Bishop, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 18, 2005
Passing this book onto a good friend, new to BC, who has a love of letter writing.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :-D

Journal Entry 3 by barby-doc from Rugby, Warwickshire United Kingdom on Friday, May 13, 2005
My friend gave me this book shortly after my Mum died. We had had a conversation about letter writing. I was a little worried that I would find it too upsetting but it was actually a very positive book. It is amazing to hear how people developed and maintained relationships through letter writing during the war. I think everyone should write to a friend.
I am thinking about passing the book on to my Dad.