Friends Like These

by Victoria Routledge | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by appletreen of Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on 3/2/2005
Journal Entry 1 by appletreen from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 2, 2005
Bought from Sense charity shop 3 books for £1.

Journal Entry 2 by appletreen from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, June 27, 2005
I'm not convinced I will read this book, although I know I won't miss not reading it. for those reasons it seems only appropriate that I use it to replace one of the books I removed from the TBR bookbox.

Journal Entry 3 by appletreen from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 5, 2005
Amazon.co.uk Review
Victoria Routledge's exhilarating first novel, Friends Like These, is a warm and witty story about a group of Cambridge graduates. The friends, who had been inseparable at college since their Fresher's Week meeting, arrange a weekend reunion in the Lake District. The weekend has several objectives: to celebrate the engagement and plan a wedding for Mike and Laura as well as to renew bonds with their closest friends. The weekend moves from the domesticity of Laura and Rachel trying to "out-cake" each other to the unexpected arrival of jet- setting actress, Caroline, whose sole objective seems to be to turn heads. Their friendships are indeed renewed but not until Caroline's atrocious behaviour is exposed and the many years of bottled-up anger is vented with scintillating effect. Friends Like These is fresh and funny with tight, sparkling dialogue and quick-witted insight into the friendships of seven twenty- something graduates with very different life goals. --Pat Naylor

Book Description
Remember sitting on a melted Mars Bar on the way up to a hot summer wedding? The lyrics to songs by Fairground Attraction? Photocopying your face out of boredom on a holiday temp job? The friend who always took a photo of you on a bad hair day? Yes?

So does Rachel, now out of University but doing one of those 'Look, no hands!' jobs in a PR firm. So when her best friend Alex persuades her to join in with a celebratory weekend in the Lake District with some old friends, it is with mixed feelings. For though Rachel, now happily involved with her photo-journalist boyfriend Finn, remembers the good old days; the fun, the laughs, the gossip; she also remembers the bad bits, not least the malice with which actressy Caroline behaved towards her. Not one for holding back, Rachel goes forth and heads North. After all, it could all be perfect...

Journal Entry 4 by appletreen from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, July 11, 2005
Selected by AppleAngel from the TBR Bookbox.

Journal Entry 5 by AppleAngel on Monday, July 25, 2005
I've started reading this. Its been interesting so far. Thanks again!