The Queen's Fool : A Novel

by Philippa Gregory | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Flakes of Bloomington, Illinois USA on 12/21/2004
Journal Entry 1 by Flakes from Bloomington, Illinois USA on Tuesday, December 21, 2004
Product Description:

A young woman caught in the rivalry between Queen Mary and her half sister, Elizabeth, must find her true destiny amid treason, poisonous rivalries, loss of faith, and unrequited love.

It is winter, 1553. Pursued by the Inquisition, Hannah Green, a fourteen-year-old Jewish girl, is forced to flee Spain with her father. But Hannah is no ordinary refugee. Her gift of "Sight," the ability to foresee the future, is priceless in the troubled times

of the Tudor court. Hannah is adopted by the glamorous Robert Dudley, the charismatic son of King Edward's protector, who brings her to court as a "holy fool" for Queen Mary and, ultimately, Queen Elizabeth. Hired as a fool but working as a spy; promised in wedlock but in love with her master; endangered by the laws against heresy, treason, and witchcraft, Hannah must choose between the safe life of a commoner and the dangerous intrigues of the royal family that are inextricably bound up in her own yearnings and desires.

Journal Entry 2 by Flakes from Bloomington, Illinois USA on Thursday, December 30, 2004
Sending this one to beachglass in trade...enjoy!:)

Journal Entry 3 by beachglass from Fresno, California USA on Thursday, January 6, 2005
Just received in the mail from Flakes. I've been looking forward to reading this, thanks so much!

Journal Entry 4 by beachglass from Fresno, California USA on Tuesday, March 8, 2005
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel...I loved the glimpse into life in the 1500's, the life in the Queen's court, with all of the back-stabbing, plotting, and gossiping, as well as the struggle for the right to worship in your own religion.
Thanks so much Flakes, for sharing this book with me.
:-)

Journal Entry 5 by beachglass from Fresno, California USA on Saturday, June 4, 2005
Mailed to piper1 today...enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by piper1 from Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, June 15, 2005
Received in the mail yesterday from Beachglass as part of a trade. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Thank you!!!!

Journal Entry 7 by piper1 from Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA on Monday, December 5, 2005
I enjoyed this book. Historical fiction is one of my favorites. I wish I had read The Other Boylen Girl first, but you don't really have to read them in order. My bookclub is going to discuss this book in December.

Thanks, Flakes & Beachglass for sharing it. It's available for trade or RABCK

Journal Entry 8 by piper1 from Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA on Monday, April 24, 2006
Reserved for Taaza from Madison, WI as part of a trade.

Journal Entry 9 by piper1 from Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA on Saturday, April 29, 2006
The Queen's Fool is off to Taaza in Madison, WI as part of a trade. Thanks for the trade.. Enjoy the book............

Journal Entry 10 by taaza from Madison, Wisconsin USA on Tuesday, May 2, 2006
Sent as a trade by piper1: looking forward to reading this! Thanks so much!

Journal Entry 11 by taaza from Madison, Wisconsin USA on Sunday, June 18, 2006
I enjoyed the telling of Queen Mary's reign through the court fool's eyes...as well as the adventures and misadventures of Hannah's own life. Not quite as good as The Other Boleyn Girl, but fans of Philippa Gregory will certainly appreciate this. Will likely RABCK to someone who has this on their wishlist!

Journal Entry 12 by taaza from Madison, Wisconsin USA on Saturday, July 8, 2006
Requested and sent to paperbackswap.com member in Maryland

Journal Entry 13 by greengirlbooks from Catonsville, Maryland USA on Tuesday, August 15, 2006
I got this book from someone on paperback swap.com. I read it and now it is ready to go back out into the world. I don't know where yet, but I will figure that out soon. Philippa Gregory is an awesome historical romance writer. I can't wait to read her new one called The Constant Princess. Thank you.

Journal Entry 14 by greengirlbooks from Catonsville, Maryland USA on Wednesday, August 23, 2006
I sent the book to a woman named Maureen in New Jersey.