Death at the Durbar: A Maharaja Mystery

by Arjun Raj Gaind | Mystery & Thrillers | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingSqNutZipswing of Silver Spring, Maryland USA on 6/16/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingSqNutZipswing from Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Sunday, June 16, 2024
Bought this book from Daedalus Books to read for the BC 2024 666 Around the World Reading Challenge hosted by awaywithfairies. Must read 6 books from each of the 6 continents 6 different countries from each continent. This book counts for Asia and is set in India.

This book is listed as historical fiction as well as a murder mystery. Set in Delhi India 1911, a grand durbar celebration is being held for George V's coronation. However, a dead body has been discovered before the start of the durbar in the King's living quarters in Delhi... this mystery must be solved before the King and his entourage arrive from England.

This book gave a lot of interesting history of colonial India and it's culture. My one criticism of the novel is that the author used several Indian languages including Urdu, Hindi etc also some French & German words/phrases. It would have been nice to have a glossary in the book to refere back to esp. for the various Indian languages.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqNutZipswing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, June 16, 2024

Released 3 wks ago (6/16/2024 UTC) at Alexandria, Virginia USA

Saved this book for fellow BCinDC'er 6of8 who is also doing the 666 Around the World Reading Challenge and for the 2024 May Royalty Challenge, both Challenges hosted by BC'er awaywithfairies. I started reading this book in May. This book has the word MAHARAJA in the title.

To the person who finds this book.....
Keep it or release it, read it or not, but please make a journal entry to let me know it's been found. Keep it, pass it on to a friend or release it into the wild.... let the journey continue.....

If you are new to BookCrossing, welcome! You can remain anonymous or join BookCrossing. It's free, spam free and advertisement free and it's also loads of fun.

By joining BookCrossing you can keep track of where the book has been and where it's going.

Journal Entry 3 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, etc, Virginia USA on Sunday, June 16, 2024
Zippy brought me this book at today's meet-up. It sounded intriguing -- I am always interested in mysteries that take place in a different country or a different time. I would love to promise that I will read this book right away, but I have multiple mysteries set in exotic locations that I can use for the 666 Challenge. This one is set in India and I have already read a book for India that I got from Zippy a couple months ago.