Into Thin Air

by Jon Krakauer | Outdoors & Nature |
Registered by countedx58 of San Francisco, California USA on 6/15/2024
Journal Entry 1 by countedx58 from San Francisco, California USA on Saturday, June 15, 2024
Okay, okay. I'll admit that I let this sit on my TBR shelf for five months feeling guilty about not reading it. The jacket blurb didn't appeal to me in the least. I would never have picked this up.

Of course, I'm eating crow now. I ripped through it in only two days - couldn't put it down. It's a personal account of the 1996 Mt. Everest disaster where a bunch of climbers died.

I found two things particularly dramatic:

A Japanese team was climbing the mountain from the Tibetan side of the mountain: "[Two Japanese climbers] were taken aback to see one of the [Indian] climbers ... lying in the snow, horribly frostbitten but still alive after a night without shelter or oxygen, moaning unintelligibly. Not wanting to jeopardize their ascent by stopping to assist him, the Japanese team continued climbing toward the summit.... "We didn't know them. No, we didn't give them any water. We didn't talk to them. They had severe high-altitude sickness. They looked as if they were dangerous...." "Above 8,000 meters is not a place where people can afford morality."

Contrast that with the fact that an IMAX film team not only helped another team that was in trouble but went so far as to give them some of their oxygen bottles to help rescue the people who were stranded and ailing.

(BTW, this is not an indictment of all Japanese - just of this particular group. Seems to me that their quest to reach the summit overrode their common sense and humanity.)

Journal Entry 2 by countedx58 at LFL - Sunrise Blvd (1145) #155512 in Prescott, Arizona USA on Saturday, June 15, 2024

Released 3 wks ago (6/15/2024 UTC) at LFL - Sunrise Blvd (1145) #155512 in Prescott, Arizona USA

Inside Little Free Library.