10 Things That Never Happened

by Alexis Hall | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by winggorydetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 5/29/2024
Journal Entry 1 by winggorydetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, May 29, 2024
I got this softcover from an online seller, after enjoying the audiobook version narrated by Will Watt. It's a romantic comedy with a rather uncomfortable "meet-cute": Sam, who's struggling to manage the employees at his branch of a bed-and-bath store, falls foul of his very uptight boss Jonathan, accidentally crashes into a shower unit (a "Nexa by MERLYN 8mm Sliding Door Shower enclosure," to be specific) that lands on his head, and winds up with a minor concussion. And manages to give Jonathan the impression that he also has amnesia, thus forgetting that when the accident happened Jonathan had just threatened to fire him and his entire staff... So here we go, Sam needing someone to keep an eye on him for a few days until his concussion clears up, and Jonathan grudgingly agreeing to take him in - presumably in hopes of avoiding his company being sued. Love in bloom, right?

Well, if you read Alexis Hall at all, you'll know how this goes. If anything, this one's a bit fluffier than some of Hall's other books; while both Sam and Jonathan have issues, they aren't as serious as other Hall protagonists suffer. This one's more of a sitcom setup, with Sam gradually getting used to life in Jonathan's palatial but chilly (and mostly empty) home, meeting Jonathan's distinctly blue-collar and very noisy extended family (all of them assuming that Sam's Jonathan's new boyfriend, no matter how often Jonathan snarles the amnesia/concussion story at them), and suffering increasing guilt about lying re the amnesia - not least as he's starting to fall for the gradually-thawing Jonathan. (Surprise?)

Yes, there was the obligatory "truth comes out leading to heartbreak," but it was cleared up pretty quickly, and despite the wacky premise and often over-the-top eccentric relatives, it was a lot of fun. I got some laughs from various turns of phrase, including one in which protagonist Sam, fretting over how his cranky boss-turned-love-interest seems to be enjoying (in his own grumpy way) checking out the employees at Sam's own branch store - something to the effect that Jonathan is very much a workaholic, and Sam's staff is "very good at dispensing workahol". That's one of the better ways of describing a dysfunctional workplace that I've heard!

Despite the fact that I was quite sure how things would turn out, I still got a bit happy-teary at the end. Very sweet story!

Journal Entry 2 by winggorydetailswing at LFL -, Wildwood Terrace in Hudson, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, June 22, 2024

Released 4 wks ago (6/22/2024 UTC) at LFL -, Wildwood Terrace in Hudson, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library, in honor of today's Pride celebration in nearby Nashua; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

Released for: