How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories

by holly black | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 5/25/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, May 25, 2024
I got this softcover, with lovely illustrations by Rovini Cai, from a local Barnes and Noble, for another release copy.

It's a collection of short stories about Prince Cardan, a main character from the "Fair Folk of the Air" trilogy, and includes episodes from his childhood as well as a tale set after the conclusion of the trilogy.

I haven't read the novels - and given the hints as to significant cruelty, conspiracies, and betrayals, I'm not sure I want to, even knowing how things turn out for the main characters - but I did enjoy this collection. Part of it was the really stunning illustrations, but the stories provided entrancing snippets of Cardan's life as well as that of Jude, the feisty, tormented human girl who became an excellent warrior (and spy, and killer) out of self defense. There's a running theme of interpreting one's own story and of taking the initiative to change the narrative, even when it seems impossible.

[There's a TV Tropes page on the trilogy, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Released 2 wks ago (5/25/2024 UTC) at Little Free Library, Wildwood Terrace in Hudson, New Hampshire USA

I plan to leave this book in the Little Free Library on this warm sunny day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

Released for: