Song of the Samurai

by C. A. Parker | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 9781960018007 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 5/21/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, May 21, 2024
I found this softcover in this new-to-me Little Free Library in Hudson MA while dropping off some books of my own. It's a historical novel inspired by the life of Kurosawa Kinko, an 18th-century samurai turned monk, who taught music and excelled at the shakuhachi, a long bamboo flute. In real life his wanderings helped spread an appreciation of the music from purely spiritual to more widely-enjoyed music - and while he might have had some impressive adventures in real life, his own diaries were lost in an air raid on Tokyo during WWII, so the author admits to fictionalizing heavily for the sake of the novel.

At the end of the book there's a glossary of terms, and a section of discussion questions that could be used for book groups - or just to help the reader dig a bit deeper on their own.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at LFL - Columbia Ave. #34 in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (5/22/2024 UTC) at LFL - Columbia Ave. #34 in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this very warm day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

Released for: