Heartstopper: Volume 1

by Alice Oseman | Graphic Novels |
Registered by winggorydetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 5/10/2024
Journal Entry 1 by winggorydetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, May 10, 2024
I found this softcover in this new-to-me Little Free Library in Chelmsford MA while dropping off some books of my own, and nabbed it for another release copy. (The books have been adapted to a live-action Netflix TV series that's quite charming.) It's the first in a graphic novel series based on a webcomic, about two young men and their relationship and daily lives.

I really enjoyed this one! The artwork's on the sketchy side at times, but it works for the characters, and I loved the way that openly-gay Charlie and rugby-lad Nick begin a friendship and then a tentative flirtation. There are lots of friendly allies here as well, some in surprising quarters, and while there are a few bad eggs (Charlie's ex, Ben, among them), they tend to get handed their heads pretty quickly.

There are some truly delightful scenes where both boys are blushing furiously, and some that make use of texting side effects - showing each of them staring at the "typing..." indication from the other, while waiting to actually send their own messages. After a while their friends and family all seem to have a "spit it out already!" attitude, though they're pretty nice about it {grin}.

While the story ends on an "oops, misunderstanding?" cliffhanger - one that makes me want to dash out and get the next volume (clever author!) - there's no doubt that the boys will work things out; question is, how long will that take?

[There's a TV Tropes page on the webcomic, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Released 4 wks ago (6/22/2024 UTC) at LFL - Thorndike St. (240) #155292 in Dunstable, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library, in honor of today's Pride celebration in Nashua; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

Released for: