The Amulet of Samarkand

by Jonathan Stroud | Teens |
Registered by FreeRangeHuman of Ripon, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 4/21/2024
Journal Entry 1 by FreeRangeHuman from Ripon, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 21, 2024
Nathaniel is a boy magician-in-training, sold to the government by his birth parents at the age of five and sent to live as an apprentice to a master. Powerful magicians rule Britain, and its empire, and Nathaniel is told his is the "ultimate sacrifice" for a "noble destiny."

If leaving his parents and erasing his past life isn't tough enough, Nathaniel's master, Arthur Underwood, is a cold, condescending, and cruel middle-ranking magician in the Ministry of Internal Affairs. The boy's only saving grace is the master's wife, Martha Underwood, who shows him genuine affection that he rewards with fierce devotion. Nathaniel gets along tolerably well over the years in the Underwood household until the summer before his eleventh birthday. Everything changes when he is publicly humiliated by the ruthless magician Simon Lovelace and betrayed by his cowardly master who does not defend him.

Released 1 mo ago (4/21/2024 UTC) at Red Telephone Exchange Box in Farlington, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Me and my mum came out for a trip round several phonebox libraries to release books in honour of International BookCrossing Day. I think we released 9 books and took 4 BookCrossing books between us. We also did a short walk finding geocaches, and discovered two new to us places to leave books (a phone box library and a little free library) This was left in the newly discovered phonebox library. I read it so long ago I have forgotten it...