The Overnight Guest

by Heather Gudenkauf | Mystery & Thrillers |
ISBN: 9780778311935 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 4/19/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, April 19, 2024
I found this softcover in this Little Free Library/pantry in Chester NH while dropping off some books of my own. It's a thriller that unfolds in past/present and from different viewpoints. The premise: Wylie, a true-crime writer, has gone to the scene of a multiple murder and disappearance from a couple of decades before, in search of inspiration to finish her next book. She's snowed in there on a bitter, stormy night - and finds a young child, injured and nearly frozen, lying in the snow outside her door...

Alternating with her attempts to help the child and figure out what's going on are flashbacks to the day and night of the original crimes. Young Josie and her best friend Becky are planning a sleepover at Josie's house, but spend some time with Josie's troubled teenaged brother (on whom Becky has a crush). Late that night, Josie stumbles out of the cornfields bleeding and terrified, her parents have been murdered, and Ethan and Becky are both missing...

In between those segments we see another viewpoint, of a woman who's clearly been kept captive by a sexual predator for years, with her young daughter her only company aside from the periodic visits by their captor.

There's a lot of misdirection here, some the natural result of people unable to cope with a horrifying tragedy and some the machinations of the author and the chosen format. Overall I found the story involving, even the less-likely bits, though the writing did seem a bit clunky in places.

Released 1 mo ago (4/22/2024 UTC) at Little Free Library, Wildwood Terrace in Hudson, New Hampshire USA

I plan to leave this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

Released for: