Providence

by Anita Brookner | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingjanna2wing of Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands on 4/7/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingjanna2wing from Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, April 7, 2024
Kitty Maule wants to be 'totally unreasonable, totally unfair, very demanding, and very beautiful.'

Instead, she is clever, hesitant and too patient for her own good. For years, she has been in love with her colleague Maurice Bishop, a charming English lecturer who seems not to notice her feelings. But when there comes a chance to accompany Maurice to France on a study of French cathedrals, Kitty sees an opportunity to be the woman she has always wanted to be as well as at last make the man she wants fall in love with her. But why is that the closer she gets to Maurice, the more elusive he seems to become?

Journal Entry 2 by wingjanna2wing at BC 2024 Convention in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, April 7, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (4/20/2024 UTC) at BC 2024 Convention in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

This book travels with me from The Netherlands to Tampere in Finland. It hopes there will be a new reader at the BC-convention who will take it home with him of her.

Journal Entry 3 by wingTaryawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, April 23, 2024
Last January I read Brookner's Rantahotelli (originally Hotel du Lac) and although I'm such a slow reader in other languages than Finnish, I couldn't resist taking this from the book buffet on Sunday :) Thanks for bringing the book to Tampere Convention! I hope you enjoyed the Convention weekend!