Excellent Women

by Barbara Pym | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingjanna2wing of Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands on 4/7/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingjanna2wing from Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, April 7, 2024
One of my favourite books.

Excellent Women is probably the most famous of Barbara Pym's novels. The acclaim a few years ago for this early comic novel, which was hailed by Lord David Cecil as one of 'the finest examples of high comedy to have appeared in England during the past seventy-five years,' helped launch the rediscovery of the author's entire work. Mildred Lathbury is a clergyman's daughter and a spinster in the England of the 1950s, one of those 'excellent women' who tend to get involved in other people's lives - such as those of her new neighbor, Rockingham, and the vicar next door. This is Barbara Pym's world at its funniest.

Journal Entry 2 by wingjanna2wing at BC 2024 Convention in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, April 7, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (4/20/2024 UTC) at BC 2024 Convention in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

This book travels with me from The Netherlands to Tampere in Finland. It hopes there will be a new reader at the BC-convention who will take it home with him of her.

Journal Entry 3 by halonhakkaaja at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, April 22, 2024
Thank you for the book! I became interested in Barbara Pym, when somebody compared her writing style to Margaret Drabble and I like her style very much. I haven't read any of Pym's books before. During Tampere weekend I got also other her book (Quartet in Autumn translated in Finnish) and that book I started already at the hotel and I like her humor in that book very much. So I'm looking so much forward reading this book!

It was so nice to have you all here in Finland, thank you for coming <3