Shanghai Girls

by Lisa See | Women's Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 3/31/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, March 31, 2024
This softcover (c. 2009) was donated to the Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720) by my friend from Leisure World, Silver Spring, Maryland, USA. Thank you!

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, March 31, 2024
I read another copy of this book back in 2012. This is what I wrote after I read it...

In this novel, Lisa See does what she can to teach her readers about the plight of Chinese families who came to the United States during the onset of World War II. Although most of the characters in this novel are fictitious, some actually existed, and the situations in this novel are drawn from many which actually happened to others.

I had a bit of a problem with this novel as it seemed somewhat contrived. Each main character needed to fit into the personality of his or her Chinese zodiac sign as well as into the place in history that the author wanted to describe. It was almost as if the novel did not allow individuals to "do their own thing". Nevertheless, the story was educational for me as I never realized the full extent of discrimination toward Chinese Americans at that time in history.

I found the end of the novel a little less than believable when daughter Joy, upon discovering a family secret, suddenly runs away to China. I'm not sure this wasn't simply a chance for the author to introduce her readers to the next book of a series.

If you happen to have read and enjoyed other books by Lisa See, you might just enjoy this one as well. I found it slower going than previous books by the same author, but otherwise a worthwhile read.

Journal Entry 3 by wingSqueakyChuwing at LFL - Vandegrift Ave (5811) (#7720) in Rockville, Maryland USA on Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (4/16/2024 UTC) at LFL - Vandegrift Ave (5811) (#7720) in Rockville, Maryland USA

I'm releasing this book for...

***The 2024 April Showers/May Flowers release challenge hosted by GoryDetails. This book pictures pink and red FLOWERS on its cover.

--------------------------------------