Something from the Oven

by Laura Shapiro | History | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 014303491X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingimeretoowing of Telford , Shropshire United Kingdom on 3/27/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingimeretoowing from Telford , Shropshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 27, 2024
Author of the forthcoming What She Ate: Six Remarkable Women and the Food That Tells Their Stories (Summer 2017)
In this captivating blend of culinary history and popular culture, the award-winning author of Perfection Salad shows us what happened when the food industry elbowed its way into the kitchen after World War II, brandishing canned hamburgers, frozen baked beans, and instant piecrusts. Big Business waged an all-out campaign to win the allegiance of American housewives, but most women were suspicious of the new foods--and the make-believe cooking they entailed. With sharp insight and good humor, Laura Shapiro shows how the ensuing battle helped shape the way we eat today, and how the clash in the kitchen reverberated elsewhere in the house as women struggled with marriage, work, and domesticity. This unconventional history overturns our notions about the '50s and offers new thinking on some of its fascinating figures, including Poppy Cannon, Shirley Jackson, Julia Child, and Betty Friedan.

Journal Entry 2 by wingimeretoowing at Telford , Shropshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (4/9/2024 UTC) at Telford , Shropshire United Kingdom

THIS BOOK IS NOT LOST!...
It was sent to djf1968 from WOB in the USA (Ordered on 27/03/24) to celebrate her Birthday.
I hope it arrives in time and you have a great day!

It's on a Magical Journey to find new readers around the world!
To find out about the people it's met and the places it's been? go to www.bookcrossing.com and use it's unique BCID code as listed in the book you have found.

Bookcrossing is an internet based community of readers, who like to share the books they have read.
Books are "Released" into the wild for free and journey from one person to the next.
It's FREE, anonymous, child friendly and you don't have to become a member to find out where this book has travelled or to let us know where it is now.
Unless you want to follow it's journey after you re-release it and set it free to travel onwards.
Again this is free and at no cost to you.

Journal Entry 3 by wingdjf1968wing at San Ramon, California USA on Tuesday, April 16, 2024
Thank you so much for thinking of me... your gift has arrived in California.