The Scalple and the Silver Bear

by Lori Arviso Alvord, M.D. | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingerishkigalwing of Salt Lake City, Utah USA on 3/21/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingerishkigalwing from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Thursday, March 21, 2024
I bought this book last summer when I spent a couple of days at Canyon du Chelly after the Sundance. I read it while camped on the North Rim (of the Grand Canyon) before heading home. So it’s already done a little traveling lol.

Reserved for the upcoming native American/1st nations/indigenous peoples book box

Journal Entry 2 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Thursday, April 4, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (4/4/2024 UTC) at Salt Lake City, Utah USA

Released into the Native American/First Nations/Indigenous Peoples Bookbox .

Journal Entry 3 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Monday, April 15, 2024
I have read this a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Will take this to the convention in Finland to share.

My review from my first copy:
In this remarkable memoir, Lori Arviso Alvord describes her unusual path to become a surgeon. As she tries to bring modern medicine to the Navajo reservation in New Mexico, she also realizes that the values of her people has something to offer the modern medical care system.

As a Chinese, I find it rather interesting to see the similarity between the Navajo values and beliefs and the Eastern philosophy: the emphasis on harmony and balance, the view of the body and its environment as a whole system. Maybe as Alvord suggested, we do come from common ancestry.

Journal Entry 4 by wingAzukiwing at BC 2024 Convention in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, April 15, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (4/19/2024 UTC) at BC 2024 Convention in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Hi! How wonderful you've found one of my books! Thank you so much for checking out the journal. I would really appreciate if you can take a moment to let me know you have it now. Trust me, it'll totally make my day to hear from one of my "wild" books.

Bookcrossing is a wonderful online community of book lovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. We are also curious to see how far and wide our books can travel. I would appreciate if you can make a journal entry on this book so we know where the book has been. You don't have to set up an account.

Feel free to keep this book, return it to where you found it, or pass it on to the next reader. If you sign up as a member, you will hear from the book as it travels and gets journaled. Feel free to explore the BookCrossing site, and visit our forum to meet other booklovers. Membership is confidential, free, and spam-free. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 5 by wingLotty_wing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Saturday, April 20, 2024
I've taken this one from the Bookcrossing Convention in Tampere.