July's People

by Nadine Gordimer | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingLeishaCamdenwing of Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on 3/12/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingLeishaCamdenwing from Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Tuesday, March 12, 2024
Copied from Goodreads:

For years, it had been what is called a “deteriorating situation.” Now all over South Africa the cities are battlegrounds. The members of the Smales family—liberal whites—are rescued from the terror by their servant, July, who leads them to refuge in his village. What happens to the Smaleses and to July—the shifts in character and relationships—gives us an unforgettable look into the terrifying, tacit understandings and misunderstandings between blacks and whites.

Nadine Gordimer was a winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature

A paperback from Bloomsbury. Not sure where I got this, I think maybe a book swap event in my book club?

I read this book a few years ago, it was both moving and depressing. It's one of the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die. One understands why.

Journal Entry 2 by wingLeishaCamdenwing at BC 2024 Convention in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, April 18, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (4/19/2024 UTC) at BC 2024 Convention in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Part of the book buffet at the Tampere convention!

Journal Entry 3 by wingApoloniaXwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Saturday, April 20, 2024
On grovalskii's wishlist, so it's hitching a ride to Berlin.

Journal Entry 4 by wingApoloniaXwing at Tiergarten, Berlin Germany on Monday, May 20, 2024

Released 3 wks ago (5/22/2024 UTC) at Tiergarten, Berlin Germany

Passed on in a South Indian restaurant, over Uttapam, Idli and Vada :-)

Journal Entry 5 by grovalskii at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Thursday, May 23, 2024
Wonderful! A surprise wishlist book! I love it! Thanks so much, ApoloniaX, for looking out for me at the convention. :) And thanks for the lovely supper at the Indian restaurant yesterday!