The True Deceiver

by Tove Jansson | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingearthcaroleannewing of Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on 3/27/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingearthcaroleannewing from Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 27, 2024
Welcome to BookCrossing!

Thank you for picking up this book. If you’re new to BookCrossing and find this book and this site (www.bookcrossing.com), please make a journal entry to let me know that this book has found a good home with you. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join.

I hope you'll join BookCrossing (doesn't cost anything to join!) and if you do, please consider using me, earthcaroleanne, as your referring member. When you’ve finished reading this book and are ready to send it on its way again, make a journal entry if you are giving or sending this book to a known person, or a release note if you are leaving it “in the wild” again for anyone to catch. Then watch its journey. You’ll be alerted by e mail each time someone makes another journal entry. And it’s confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free.

Happy BookCrossings!

Journal Entry 2 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 27, 2024
In the deep winter snows of a Finnish hamlet, a strange young woman fakes a break-in at the house of an elderly artist in order to persuades her that she needs companionship. But what does she hope to gain by doing this? And who ultimately is deceiving whom? In this portrayal of two women grappling with truth and lies, nothing can be taken for granted. By the time the snow thaws, both their lives will have changed irrevocably.

Journal Entry 3 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 17, 2024
The events of this novel are not earth-shaking, but one becomes embroiled in the negotiations between brother and sister and selected members of the tiny community.
Although I enjoyed reading this and there was plenty of food for thought it left many unanswered questions. I think it was
something to do with survival, and the truth about humanity, and about ourselves. But I don't really know.

ETA: Forgot release notes but I took it to the Finland Convention.

Journal Entry 4 by over-the-moon at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, May 19, 2024
Somehow I forgot to journal this, which I was given at the Convention. Now I'm about to read it.

Journal Entry 5 by over-the-moon at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, May 20, 2024
Anna, an elderly illustrator of children's books featuring rabbits, lives alone at the edge of the woods outside a small village by a lake. Katri, an ambitious and clever woman of 25, sees Anna as an opportunity to make a comfortable home for her brother Mats, thought to be "slow" but a skilled craftsman whose dream is to own a boat.
Anna has no head for order, and her correspondence with business connections and her friend Sylvia is stashed away haphazardly in drawers. Katri worms her way into Anna's life, becomes her housekeeper and then a secretary, sorting out all the letters and invoices into files, at the same time subtly ensuring that she and Mats get a share of the profits, while convincing Anna that she has been cheated by local traders and her publishers, and the companies that want to make merchandise of her famous flower-covered rabbits.
Between the two women, worlds apart in character, is a dog, kept in check by Katri, played with and given freedom by Anna, and ending up completely wild and bewildered.
The long and freezing winter wraps all the characters in a blanket of determination, suspicion and resignation.
With the long-awaited arrival of spring, Anna's beloved forest floor is uncovered and truths are revealed.

Quite a disconcerting book. Interesting that it was first published in Swedish. I am joining a photo of the Swedish (Lapland) forest floor.