Dune

by Frank Herbert | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 3/3/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, March 3, 2024
I got this softcover at a local Barnes and Noble, to release at a theater showing the second half of the recent film adaptation, Dune: Part Two.

I first read Dune when it first came out, and was enthralled by the wonderful world-building that Herbert had done. I fell in love with Duncan Idaho, was enraptured by the imagery of the Fremen and the sandworms, and caught up in the entire storyline; it struck me at the time as one of the most completely-realized fictional worlds I'd ever encountered. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and its first sequel or two.

As each additional book came out I became less and less interested, since massive layers of diplomacy and espionage and jockeying for power aren't my favorite things, not to mention some of the more "cosmic/surreal" plot twists. But Dune itself is an original, and well worth exploring.

[The 1984 film was visually impressive, but oh, so painful to watch, with all those voiceovers and repetitions and spelling-out-to-the-audience things that should have been conveyed by the actors' expressions and reactions - way too much "info dump". The 2000 mini-series was much better as regards the actual plot, and pretty good re visuals and performances. The 2021 film, the first of a two-part adaptation of the novel, was very good indeed!]

[The TV Tropes page on the book has some entertaining tidbits, and plenty of links to other elements in the franchise.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Apple Cinemas Hooksett IMAX in Hooksett, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, March 3, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (3/3/2024 UTC) at Apple Cinemas Hooksett IMAX in Hooksett, New Hampshire USA

I plan to leave this book, bagged against the elements, outside the IMAX theater on my way to see "Dune 2" with friends. Hope someone enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

Released for:

** 2024 4 Elements challenge **

** Released for the 2024 Science Fiction challenge. **

** Released for the 2024 Movie challenge. **

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Hooksett, New Hampshire USA on Monday, March 4, 2024
hello! upon my way to watch dune part two, i happened upon this book. thanks for the encouragement! im enchanted by the world that frank herbert created and i am ready to get sucked back in.