A World of Curiosities

by Louise Penny | Mystery & Thrillers | This book has not been rated.
Registered by crossingguardma of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 3/3/2024
Journal Entry 1 by crossingguardma from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, March 3, 2024
From the internet…. It’s spring and Three Pines is reemerging after the harsh winter. But not everything buried should come alive again. Not everything lying dormant should reemerge.

But something has.

As the villagers prepare for a special celebration, Armand Gamache and Jean-Guy Beauvoir find themselves increasingly worried. A young man and woman have reappeared in the Sûreté du Québec investigators’ lives after many years. The two were young children when their troubled mother was murdered, leaving them damaged, shattered. Now they’ve arrived in the village of Three Pines.

But to what end?

Gamache and Beauvoir’s memories of that tragic case, the one that first brought them together, come rushing back. Did their mother’s murder hurt them beyond repair? Have those terrible wounds, buried for decades, festered and are now about to erupt?

As Chief Inspector Gamache works to uncover answers, his alarm grows when a letter written by a long dead stone mason is discovered. In it the man describes his terror when bricking up an attic room somewhere in the village. Every word of the 160-year-old letter is filled with dread. When the room is found, the villagers decide to open it up.

As the bricks are removed, Gamache, Beauvoir and the villagers discover a world of curiosities. But the head of homicide soon realizes there’s more in that room than meets the eye. There are puzzles within puzzles, and hidden messages warning of mayhem and revenge.

In unsealing that room, an old enemy is released into their world. Into their lives. And into the very heart of Armand Gamache’s home.

Journal Entry 2 by crossingguardma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, March 3, 2024
This is book 18 in the series. My sister in law gave it to me, but I had already read it. It made the perfect book for our last minute wrapped booked exchange. Choose a book you have read and enjoyed, wrap it up and only write the first line of the book on the outside. People choose the book with only the one line clue. Hope they enjoy this book, with the clue…”Oh, merde.”

Journal Entry 3 by crossingguardma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, March 3, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (3/4/2024 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Releasing to our wrapped book exchange party.

Journal Entry 4 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, March 4, 2024
Yippee! My wrapped book exchange treasure. We had a lovely time today at our High Tea even though we were few in number.