The Beekeeper of Aleppo

by Christy Lefteri | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by FreeRangeHuman of Ripon, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 3/1/2024
Journal Entry 1 by FreeRangeHuman from Ripon, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 1, 2024
Nuri is a beekeeper; his wife, Afra, an artist. They live a simple life, rich in family and friends, in the beautiful Syrian city of Aleppo--until the unthinkable happens. When all they care for is destroyed by war, they are forced to escape. But what Afra has seen is so terrible she has gone blind, and so they must embark on a perilous journey through Turkey and Greece towards an uncertain future in Britain. On the way, Nuri is sustained by the knowledge that waiting for them is Mustafa, his cousin and business partner, who has started an apiary and is teaching fellow refugees in Yorkshire to keep bees.

As Nuri and Afra travel through a broken world, they must confront not only the pain of their own unspeakable loss, but dangers that would overwhelm the bravest of souls. Above all, they must journey to find each other again.

Released 3 mos ago (3/1/2024 UTC) at Phonebox Book Exchange in Barsby, Leicestershire United Kingdom

We had been planning to visit this phonebox library on a trip down south, but due to missing a junction, we approached from a different direction than intended. I didn't take a book in the end. Afterwards, we had lunch at Bradgate Park.