The Lovely Bones

by Alice Sebold | Mystery & Thrillers |
ISBN: 0330511920 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Forager of Cheltenham, Gloucestershire United Kingdom on 2/27/2024
Journal Entry 1 by Forager from Cheltenham, Gloucestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 27, 2024
Taken from the very large book swap in the staff room at Farmors School, Fairford, Gloucestershire, where I left

The Wager
The Age of Innocence
Hokkaido Highway Blues
A Long Petal of the Sea
The Traitors Gate
Notes from a Small Island

I thought this book was brilliant when I read it at the end of 2005. It's incredibly well-written and despite the disturbing subject matter (I wouldn't say this book is for everyone) it left me surprisingly peaceful inside. As the story unfolded I found myself letting go of the short-term desire to see the various ends neatly tied up and taking a broader perspective. I often encounter people who are suddenly bereaved through work (although I've never dealt with a murder and hopefully never will), so there was an added poignancy to this for me. I didn't buy into the whole "heaven" concept laid down by the author (everyone gets their own version and everything they desire) - far too consumerist - but it doesn't distract from the essential story, which is about events on earth as followed (and occasionally participated in) by this disembodied observer. Like the film Flatliners it's the sort of book you have to discuss with others.

I have three other copies of this on my bookshelves, which you can find by clicking here, here and here. I hope you enjoy it and are happy to keep it travelling.

If you are new to BookCrossing, welcome! I hope you will enjoy the book and decide to join (it's free). I don't exactly know why it is called BookCrossing but if you want to know more you can read all about it on Wikipedia.

You can add a comment about the book whether you are a member or not. But if you do join you will get a message each time another person finds it. I love seeing where they go.

If you decide to join BookCrossing please list me, Forager, as the member who referred you.

Enjoy your life,

Forager

Journal Entry 2 by Forager at 15 Campden Road in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (2/27/2024 UTC) at 15 Campden Road in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire United Kingdom

Adding to my book swap.