What Feasts at Night

by T. Kingfisher | Horror |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 2/25/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, February 25, 2024
I got this hardcover at local independent bookstore Balin Books. I've been looking forward to it since first hearing that there'd be a sequel to What Moves the Dead. (The eerie moths on the endpapers suggest just what it is that feasts at night!)

Later: I enjoyed this story, though it didn't have quite the depth of the previous book. This one focuses on the myth of the moroi, a type of vampiric spirit that, here, seems closer to the "nightmare," a being/ghost/whatever that sits on the chest of a sleeper and steals their breath.

At first protagonist Alex Easton (ka/kan) gives no credence to such a myth as the reason for the husky young farmhand Bors' escalating lassitude, but gradually comes to accept it - and between the nightmares ka has about the war, and the intrusion of the weight-on-the-chest sensation, finds kanself in a desperate battle for life and sanity.

The story opens with a mystery: Alex has returned to the family hunting lodge, with batsman Angus and the doughty mycologist Miss Potter conducting a not-so-subtle courtship amid the rather dank surroundings. The family retainer who was caretaker for the lodge for years, Codrin, is nowhere to be found - and it turns out that he died not long before Alex' arrival. In classic haunted-village form, nobody is willing to come to work at the lodge, save for one redoubtable widow. She manages to help get things in order, with the assistance of her grandson Bors - but is careful to place barriers of salt, knives under pillows, and other examples meant to keep evil spirits at bay...

For me the most effective scenes involved some of Alex' nightmares, especially the one where, in the throes of another attack by the breath-sucking being, ka finds kanself seeing a favorite horse crumble to dust at a touch {shudder}. [Oh, and one line, which I'll spoiler-hide: "Then her face tore apart.".] As for the resolution to the attacks - well, I'm glad things turned out as they did, though the reasoning behind some of it rather escaped me!

There is some lovely banter along the way, when things aren't being TOO scary - and even the stolid Bors gets in a delightful quip near the end.

The acknowledgements at the end have some nice points as well, including Kingfisher's praise of the resources from the fans: "There's a truism that 'all knowledge is contained in fandom,' meaning that if you ask a question, some fan somewhere happens to have done their doctoral thesis on it, and it is terrifyingly true in the case of this book." She goes on to thank the "gun people" for helping re the make and model of Alex' firearm, and adds "...the two groups who will always spot the details are the gun people and the textile people, and while I fear the textile people somewhat more, I like to stay on the right side of both of them." Definitely!

Released 1 mo ago (2/29/2024 UTC) at Little Free Library, Massachusetts Ave. in Lunenburg, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this cold, windy day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

Released for:

** 2024 Great Backyard Bird Count challenge, for the author's name. [See GBBC info here.] **

** 2024 Wine+Food challenge **

Journal Entry 3 by Alexreadsalot1 at Lunenburg, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, March 3, 2024
I found this one at the Lunenburg LFL. Great find! I'm looking forward to reading it!