The Secret Garden

by Frances Hodgson Burnett | Children's Books |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 2/22/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, February 22, 2024
I found this softcover in this new-to-me Little Free Library in Bolton MA while dropping off some books of my own, and was pleased to have another release copy. This one features lovely illustrations by Tasha Tudor, and some bonus material, including a recipe for crumpets!

One of my all-time favorite children's books [which I re-read now and then despite being well out of childhood], this is a classic - and also a ripping good yarn. The descriptions of the terrible epidemic that costs Mary her parents, the daunting, gloomy old house she finds herself in, the mysterious sounds in the night, the explorations of rooms that haven't been opened in months or years, and of course the finding of the garden itself, all are wildly atmospheric and suspenseful. I still love the way that things begin to come right with only the barest of assistance from the few adults willing to pay any attention to the children - they get most of it done themselves, and it's very satisfying.

The book has been adapted to film and TV several times, with varying degrees of success, and inspired a stage musical as well. For me, one of the more charming screen adaptations was this 1975 series.

[There's a TV Tropes page for the book (and various film adaptations), with some entertaining info.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Franklin St. in Derry, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (4/16/2024 UTC) at Little Free Library, Franklin St. in Derry, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

Released for:

** 2024 April Showers/May Flowers challenge **

** 2024 Never Judge a Book By Its Cover challenge, for the increasing-count theme. **

** 2024 Movie challenge. **