Nanjing Requiem

by Ha Jin | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 030774373X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingAzukiwing of Miami, Florida USA on 2/13/2024
Journal Entry 1 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Tuesday, February 13, 2024
Told through the eyes of a Chinese female working at a Christian women's college, the book chronicles the brutal Japanese invasion of Nanjing in 1937, with a focus on Minnie Vautrin, the real life American dean of the college, who bravely confronted the Japanese to protect the Chinese under her care.

While the author did not provide any notes on how much of the book is fictionalized, it does read very much like a real life memoir, with many daily events flowing through in a non dramatic way.

That said, it's not an easy book to read, because I have read The Rape of Nanking and other books, and know that the brutality mentioned in the book is just a small fraction of the suffering the people went through.

Also, I have never heard of the Red Swastika Society.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAzukiwing at BC 2024 Convention in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, April 19, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (4/20/2024 UTC) at BC 2024 Convention in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Leaving at Book Buffet.

Hi! How wonderful you've found one of my books! Thank you so much for checking out the journal. I would really appreciate if you can take a moment to let me know you have it now. Trust me, it'll totally make my day to hear from one of my "wild" books.

Bookcrossing is a wonderful online community of book lovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. We are also curious to see how far and wide our books can travel. I would appreciate if you can make a journal entry on this book so we know where the book has been. You don't have to set up an account.

Feel free to keep this book, return it to where you found it, or pass it on to the next reader. If you sign up as a member, you will hear from the book as it travels and gets journaled. Feel free to explore the BookCrossing site, and visit our forum to meet other booklovers. Membership is confidential, free, and spam-free. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wingLeishaCamdenwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Saturday, April 20, 2024
Found this on the book buffet table. I have also read "The Rape of Nanking" so I'm interested in reading this fictionalized version. Thank you!