Stiff

by mary roach | Nonfiction |
Registered by JennyC1230 of Woodstock, Georgia USA on 2/3/2024
Journal Entry 1 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Saturday, February 3, 2024
Book description: Beloved, best-selling science writer Mary Roach’s classic, now with a new epilogue.

For two thousand years, cadavers—some willingly, some unwittingly—have been involved in science’s boldest strides and weirdest undertakings. They’ve tested France’s first guillotines, ridden the NASA Space Shuttle, been crucified in a Parisian laboratory to test the authenticity of the Shroud of Turin, and helped solve the mystery of TWA Flight 800. For every new surgical procedure, from heart transplants to gender confirmation surgery, cadavers have helped make history in their quiet way. Stiff investigates the strange lives of our bodies postmortem and answers the question: What should we do after we die?

RCOUfan gave this book to me for Bookcrossing, she read it in college for a class. I read this book years ago and found it weirdly comforting to know what happens to the body when you die. Most of us don't see it first hand. This book takes out the mystery.