The Sentence

Registered by ComradeCamper of Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin USA on 2/2/2024
Journal Entry 1 by ComradeCamper from Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin USA on Friday, February 2, 2024
I bought a signed copy of this book at Louise Erdrich’s bookstore in Minneapolis a couple of years ago, and began to read it. But then I needed to give away the book as a birthday present for a friend.
Months later, I found this one which is the “substitute copy”! When I picked it up again, I really began to appreciate all the interconnected threads that Erdrich has woven together.
First of all, much of the book’s action takes place in Erdrich’s very bookstore. The reader will recognize lots of little details about the neighborhood.
The book’s main characters are Ojibwe and Potawotami people, and they describe how challenging it can be to live as an “urban Indian”. The main characters spend time, energy and money on maintaining traditional ways and practices, while living in a metropolitan area where they’re in the minority. The book describes how difficult and painful it was to live through George Floyd’s murder and the days of turmoil that followed.
And one of the main characters in this book is … a ghost.

Journal Entry 2 by ComradeCamper at Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Released 5 mos ago (2/20/2024 UTC) at Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

I had been raving about this book to a friend who’s an avid reader. She asked if she could borrow it when I finished.
So I lent it to her, but requested that she return it when she’s finished.

Released 2 mos ago (5/9/2024 UTC) at LFL - Menomonee Falls Library Friends #2 ; #166903 in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin USA

On the lower shelf of the Friends’ library, near the Cart with A Heart food pantry